Author Topic: Derringer  (Read 803 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Derringer
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:01 AM »
i want to get a gun for just shooting and back-up for small game hunt. i have seen some Derringer from cobrapistols and just need a gun to kill 2 and 4 leg thing. What Cal and should i get a derringer or auto.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Derringer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:11:07 AM »
Polish P63 or P64 or Makarov 9x18! Small and effective. under 200.00

Offline Lawdog

Re: Derringer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:22:18 AM »
Quote from: jamaldog87
i want to get a gun for just shooting and back-up for small game hunt. i have seen some Derringer from cobrapistols and just need a gun to kill 2 and 4 leg thing. What Cal and should i get a derringer or auto.

All depends on what you mean by 4 leg thing.  If you including bears in that category then nothing smaller than .44 mag. and even then you would be at a disadvantage.  People die easily, bears donÂ’t.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline rockbilly

Derringer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:49:50 AM »
:roll: Derringer for back up for small game hunt?

Just put a good edge on your Buck...............The only thing a derringer is good for is a paper weight.  Just my two cents worth.... :D  :D  :D

Offline obxmike

Derringer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
I have a Bond Arms in .45/.410. It is a neat conversation piece, is well made and is a HOOT to shoot with 000 buck.  :shock: It is one of my "TOYS". As for serious "back up" ...well, just say you'll never catch me in the bear woods with it on my hip. I much prefer a 4-5" revolver, .357 minimum.  JMHO.

Mike

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
Derringer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 03:18:06 PM »
Even though I own a derringer and carry it when I can't carry a gun (I have a CCW permit but there are times that I simply cannot take a chance on it being detected that I am carrying), I can't recommend that you buy a derringer for your purpose.  From what you say I would recommend a Ruger Single Six convertible.  It can fire .22 LR for plinking or even small game hunting or if you need more power it will fire .22 mag.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Derringer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 02:42:18 AM »
Derringers may be cute but they will not give you the protection you need in the woods and they are a poor choice for personal defense.  Get a small frame revolver in 357 (minimum caliber) or a larger one in 44 mag.  If those don't appeal to you then get a semi-auto in 10mm or larger.  Mikey.

Offline jamaldog87

Derringer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 06:03:53 AM »
just need a gun for dog ,people or rat shooting noting here in FL to get you that is bigger than a dog.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
pistol
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
Around town I pack a Beretta Tomcat 32 auto. Not much bigger and holds 7. Fits in the small back pocket of fanny pack or a small pocket holster.Still not much of a gun but better than nothing. For trails it's the 629 mountain gun, minimum model 60 in 357.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Derringer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:03:53 PM »
Kel Tec P3AT in .380. About as small as you are going to find. Mine has been totally reliable although have heard of some with problems.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Savage

Derringer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 01:30:21 AM »
Just about anything is better than a derringer. For about the same money you can buy a used revolver in 38spl, or one of the smaller autos in .380. Derringers are slow, dangerous, inaccurate, heavy in the larger calibers, and have limited firepower. They are good "just for the hell of it" guns in .357,45LC, and 45/70.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,