Author Topic: Ruger Single Six  (Read 495 times)

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
Ruger Single Six
« on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:51 AM »
While visiting a gun shoppe in the area I spyed a very nice Ruger Single Six "three screw" 6 1/2" Convertable in 22/22 Mag. #81XXXX.

The 22 Mag was the only cylander with the weapon "at time of sale" and that reduced its price to "an offer I couldn't refuse" catagory.  

For the record it is in wonderful condition with a great look and fit and it shoots VERY "TIGHT!!" groups.  I've taken to carrying it at all times when I'm in the woods and wondered if the "Forum" had opinions on the 22 Mag. (other than price difference in the rounds (ouch))  Also other than carrying on an empty cylandar, any advice??? on this weapon??? Thanks.

Offline Jerry Lester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger Single Six
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 02:22:14 PM »
The Single Sixes are exellent revolvers.

You can definately carry it with all chambers loaded. The transfer bar system allows this with perfect safety.

Unless you shoot the hyper velocity 22 magnum ammo, you likely won't notice a huge difference in terminal performance. Now, if you load it up with CCI TNT HPs(my favorite), or Winchester supremes, or a few of the other hot loads you'll get a lot more performance on bigger critters like foxes, groundhogs, or coons.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
Ruger Single Six
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 03:18:51 PM »
I wouldn't carry an old model with the hammer over a live round unless it has been converted.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
Ruger Single Six
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
Quote from: Camel23
I wouldn't carry an old model with the hammer over a live round unless it has been converted.

Whoops!

I didn't pay attention to the "three screw" part. Camel23 is right. The older models don't have the transfer bar, and shouldn't be carried with a live round under the hamer.