Author Topic: german reticle vs post and cross hair vs dual X  (Read 1090 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
german reticle vs post and cross hair vs dual X
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:23:59 AM »
I have a couple of old steel tube weavers I am going to have re-built-one scope to go on a Ruger RSI 243 18 inch barrel-fast handling woods gun, the other may go on a Ruger #1A 7x57-another short quick gun or maybe a Mauser 257 roberts for my girls to shoot. One weaver is a fixed 6 and the other is a 2-7x32. What would you do? Or maybe I should ask, what reticles would you go with in which scope on on what gun?

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
german reticle vs post and cross hair vs du
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:20:17 AM »
I like the German #4 best. The German #1 or a post and CH are fast but aren't friendly for hold over. I would like the German #1 over the post & CH.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
german reticle vs post and cross hair vs du
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 04:24:55 AM »
I've just gotta ask WHY in the world would you do such a thing?

The technology is OLD and the quality was never that great to begin with. The old saying you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear comes to mind.

The old steel tube Weaver scopes used inferior optics and they were not finish polished. The outer edges of them lacked the final polish of high quality glass. Thus the image is not as clear out near the perimeter as near the center. They are from a time when we were all rather naive of what scopes could/should be. They worked albeit not well in those days. But even cheap scopes of today are head and shoulders above them. So why spend money on something that even when done will be vastly inferior to a cheap scope from most anyone today, even Weaver.

But to answer the question more directly. Since the invention of the dual or duplex cross hair I've never looked back. I can see no reason why I'd want any other on a hunting gun for big game. It simply works.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!