Author Topic: Boresighting  (Read 505 times)

Offline Gordy

• Trade Count: (0)
Boresighting
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:30:36 AM »
I put a Bushnell Trophy scope on my Ultra 12 with high rings. I put a dot on the wall and lined up the barrel with the dot. Then I tried to adjust the scope to the same spot, but could not get enough adjustment. What would I be doing wrong? Thanks - Gordy.

Offline Paul Mohr

Boresighting
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 11:03:59 AM »
you might have to shim your rings or something. I had to shim up my back ring on mine I think.

When I bore sight I put my gun in a rest and aim at something 50 to 100 yards away and then try get the scope on it. That usually gets me on paper.

If you don't want to mess with it you can look for a shop near you and pay them to mount it. As part of the mounting process they should bore sight it and shim it if it needs it. My shop charges 30 bucks to do this.

I forget what thicknesses equal what at what range, you could probably find it on the net though. You might be able to lap the rings as well.

If you are off left to right and don't have adjustable rings I don't know what to tell you. Other than you will have to remove some material from the inside of one of the rings where it mounts to the base. I always try to get adjustable mounts.

Sometimes you can do it just by changing the torque on the screws.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Gordy

Boresight
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:17:24 PM »
Thanks Paul, I will check out all those possibilities. Regards - Gordy.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Boresighting
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 12:38:33 PM »
You have to remember that the scope is about 1 1/5 inches higher than the barrel. You have to be very far from the wall to get them to line up.

Offline jgalar

Boresighting
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 05:44:26 AM »
I would try an aiming point 20-25yds away

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Boresighting
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 06:58:41 AM »
Quote from: Gordy
I put a Bushnell Trophy scope on my Ultra 12 with high rings. I put a dot on the wall and lined up the barrel with the dot. Then I tried to adjust the scope to the same spot, but could not get enough adjustment. What would I be doing wrong? Thanks - Gordy.

You lack information as to how you are off. Left to right or up or down.

If you are off up and down you are to close to the spot on the wall. Also mount your scope as close to the barrel as you can. I have a dot on a tree behind my house that is 25 yards away. I look through my barrel and set it up so the dot is centered in my barrel. Then I adjust my scope to get the barrel and scope lined up. Then I go and shoot at the range. I put my target at 25 yards and make sure I am on paper, then I move to 50 yards and get my shots close to center. I then do a 100 yard target and do my final sight in. If I sight in for longer distances I just keep moving my target out to my final distance and do my fine tuning.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Gordy

boresight
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 01:03:57 PM »
:-) I made a dowel the size of my bore and drilled a hole the size of one of my rifle rods for the boresighter I have. It seemed to line up good, I hope to get out tommorow to try it. If it does not work I will go back to try your ideas. Thank you very much for the tips, I appreciate it. I will get this ironed out. Have a great weekend all. - Gordy.