Author Topic: Talk me into buying a .357Sig  (Read 533 times)

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Talk me into buying a .357Sig
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:54:10 AM »
I own a few 9mm's and a few .40S&W's. Can the .357Sig do something that either of these other two rounds can't? Do I have a valid reason for buying one?
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Questor

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 06:16:00 AM »
The rational basis for your acquiring one, given the guns you already own, is a simple litmus test: You either want one or you don't.

One other thing to consider, though, is that this could be a good excuse to acquire a SIG firearm. These are very high quality and are of innovative and delightful design.  You can learn a lot about what a good auto really is by studying a SIG.  

You can also use this as an excuse to undertake the project of comparing .357 magnum loads with .357 SIG loads.

The down side of the 357 SIG is that it's really loud at indoor ranges.
Safety first

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:50:14 AM »
The 357SIG performance is the same as the 357mag with 125gr bullets. Its highly rated by the law inforcement using it too. Its rated 100% in Maryland and 99% in Texas in dispatching bad guys. I think its going to replace the 40S&W in many departments.  You have the 357 magnum power in a semi-auto pistol with 125gr bullets its the perfect carry gun. Its my next new caliber carry gun too. Its got fire power and stopping power you have the 9mm fire power and the 357 stopping power in one gun. Yup i'd go for it for sure it gets my vote.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:59:04 AM »
For 100.00 you can buy the original sig, a CZ-52 in 7.62x25.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »
:grin:  :grin:  Sir Knight.  If you have a .40, just purchase a .357 barrel and start shooting.  The magazine is the same for both the .40 and .357.  You should be able to pickup a Sig barrel for about $175. an aftermarket may be slightly cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

As for which is best, it depends on who you talk to.  Most of the LEO like the .357 for stopping power, however, they say it is too fast and not heavy enough to penetrate safety glass in a vehicle.  Most think the .357 is best overall, they don't have to deal with shooting too many vehicles.

I don't know how the Sig is related to the CZ, but both are good pistols.  Sig-Sauer has been around for about 250 years, producing firearms for most of them, and Swiss Arm AG, the successor of the Sig Arm AG has more than 150 years experience in manufacturing guns.

You can't go wrong with a Sig in any caliber.  :D  :D  :D

Offline jro45

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:23:40 AM »
I own a Glock 22 in 40 caliber and I bought a 357 Sig, in Glock, barrel for it and it shoots very accurately. I like to fill a 3/4" target full of holes at 10 yds at the range. :D

Offline ArmaLube

• http://www.armalube.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:56:57 PM »
Sir Knight,

No need for others to talk you into a cartridge selection. The solution is for you to talk yourself ito it. How is that done! My suggestion is for you to do the research yourself, so the conclusion you reach will be your own. Using readily available Internet resources, you will discover that the .357 Sig is a unique round that stands alone in its special advantages. Once you recognize this fact, your choice will become crystal clear.

The reasoning that establishes superiority of the .357 Sig is based on ballistic performance. Cartridges, as you know, represent tradeoffs among various parameters, such as size, cost, caliber, stopping power, trajectory, accuracy, etc. However, the single most important characteristic of a handgun cartridge is its ability to get the job done, assuming the shooter is able to hit the target in the proper area.

The .357 Sig is essentially a midget round, with the power of a giant. As a result, the cartridge is accommodated in comparatively small handguns. It offers easily managed recoil. It shoots where you aim. It delivers impressive terminal energy. In other words, it gets the job done in spledid fashion. For defensive applications in comfortably small shooting platforms, this is cartridge of absolutely top-shelf quality.

Selection of a better personal defense cartridge is not likely.

But, don't take my word for it. Do the research and convince yourself.

A start:
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/

ArmaLube