Author Topic: Do Little Deer Survive When Mom Is Shot  (Read 1039 times)

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Do Little Deer Survive When Mom Is Shot
« on: October 23, 2005, 01:16:13 PM »
Well, I got my first muzzleloader deer on Friday, a super big Doe with what I bleive was 2 little ones with her. My question is, do the little ones survive without her? I quite Bear hunting because of what I saw when the Cubs Mom was shot and they sat there and cried for her and alot of them don`t survive, that is not cool :( I beleive first of the year deer are fully trained by October? Thanks-Jack.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »
Yes they will survive, they are eating regular food by October.  As far as bears, I know most guides will not let you shoot a sow with cubs. Two different animals.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »
I believe bear cubs stay with their ma for two years or more.  An early doe fawn may very well come into season and be breed her first fall.

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:02:01 PM »
Thanks guys!! Problem with Bear hunting here in PA. is it is 3 days long for any gender and any size and no guides :( I just can`t stomach that, might as well take the cubs also. I have seen really small cubs stranded after the mother was shot. There use to be a 100 pound minimum years ago, but hunters complained and won, and now it is totally open. Not cool. Jack.

Offline Qtip

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:17:28 AM »
slayer,

The hunting community needs more like you that are concerned about ethics. Hat's off to you!!!!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 05:08:00 AM »
it is illegal to take a sow with cubs here in MT,if it bothers you so much you should have taken the time to make sure she didnt have cubs with here like an ethical hunter would have.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 05:18:41 AM »
"Baby" deer wil have a much better chance of surviving with "Mom" around as the adult deer are more cautious and experienced at avoiding danger. I ALWAYS pass on a doe if she has young with her.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
Quote from: ronbow
"Baby" deer wil have a much better chance of surviving with "Mom" around as the adult deer are more cautious and experienced at avoiding danger. I ALWAYS pass on a doe if she has young with her.

Some of the hunters I know like taking the young deer, better eating they say. I hunt on a lease in Maryland and the land owner wants all the deer kill, legally of course. We are allowed 10 doe's in each season, bow, Muzzleloader and rifle/shotgun. A total of 30 doe's allowed. I donate a lot of deer meat to people that need it and friends.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »
No, don`t get me wrong, it wasn`t me who shot any Bears, I have never gotten one at all. I have just seen the results of others who have tasken sows with cubs, and the cubs are very small, makes me sick to see that :( I appreciate your kind words Qtip :D I understand the young being better off with older deer. Is there a chance they will hook up with another group? Jack.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:19:56 AM »
Quote from: slayer
No, don`t get me wrong, it wasn`t me who shot any Bears, I have never gotten one at all. I have just seen the results of others who have tasken sows with cubs, and the cubs are very small, makes me sick to see that :( I appreciate your kind words Qtip :D I understand the young being better off with older deer. Is there a chance they will hook up with another group? Jack.

I have seen doe's taken that had young ones with them. I have seen the young ones in other groups after the big doe was gone. Even though they are young, deer learn quick to avoid danger. Now for another hunter that will take smaller deer, they will not be much of a challenge.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:25:19 AM »
I may have taken one of the small ones, but they didn`t present a shot .Only the lead Doe. They were ready to bolt and had to shoot fast. I got her in a very high density deer area, I mean lots of deer. The woods and highway are loaded with them. Jack.

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 06:38:59 PM »
slayer,

If it makes you feel any better, I know first hand from personal experience working with bear biologists from the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife that cubs of the year CAN in fact survive without their mother. Research in NJ has repeatedly proven that cubs orphaned after August/September of their 1st year have a high rate of survival on their own. Most of these cubs were orphaned due to the sow being killed in vehicular collisions, or being destroyed by Division personnel for being "nuisance" bears. These cubs will often stay together and den together over the winter.  Cubs under 8 months old are sent to a wildlife rehabilitator.

That being said, obviously cubs-of-the-year orphaned during the spring bear season by indescriminate "hunters" are doomed to perish themselves.  I also don't & won't advocate the killing of a sow w/ cubs regardless of the cub's age, even where legal. IMHO if you're that hard up that you have to shoot a sow with her brood in tow, maybe you should consider a new sport. ..Just my 2 cents worth.
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 02:57:11 AM »
I joke with some guys in my hunt club that it was my goal to shoot a dear this year that wasn't over it's spots yet. :) I call it vealison.  Seriously, if given the opportunity, I take the fawns over the older does, unless I can tell it's a button buck.  I know people that get fighting mad over this, but I hunt for the chance to be outdoors and for the freezer, and IMHO, "vealison" is as good as it gets.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
I have 2 of em in the cooler right now,not only do they taste better they are much easier to drag.Im having fawn loin and sharptailed grouse for dinner...I feel SO bad!LOL
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm