Author Topic: Opinions of Leupold VX-I  (Read 964 times)

Offline alsatian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« on: October 24, 2005, 07:03:56 AM »
I am thinking of putting a Leupold VX-I on an inexpensive rifle that I have bought for hunting on rainy days and for a back-up.  I have Leupold VariX-IIIs on my other rifles but don't want to spend that same amount of money on this rainy day/back-up rifle.

What are your opinions/experiences with Leupold VX-I?  It will go on a .30-06 Remington ADL composite stock rifle.  I'm thinking 2-7x 33mm or 3-9x 40 mm.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:05:11 AM »
I have several of the VXI and they work great. It is a Leupold, and the warranty is as good as the VariXIII's. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:09:20 AM »
The VX-1 is a great inexpensive scope..I have several of them in all of the power ranges.They are bright and clear..and repeatable...and cost at lot less than many of the other so-called great scopes.Sure..they do have the friction rings on them..but I have never had a problem with mine in all the years I've used them...and they have been totally drenched and iced over and never leaked or fogged...

I currently have them on my 338-06 and 45-70..with a couple others waiting to go on other rifles,and wouldn't waste my money on other scopes costing 2 or 3 times as much...While the computer generated rating numbers of other scopes seem real impressive...to me and using them in the field and off the bench is where it's truely at...at dusk and dawn.....I can't see any better with the higher priced ones...and I've had quite a few to compare them to...the last VX-3 I had...I returned and got 2 new 4-12 VX-1's for it......and am just as happy with them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:35:29 AM »
The VXI pales in comparison to the Burris FFII optically.  Burris has just as good of a warranty  and is just as well built.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »
Quote from: Grubbs
The VXI pales in comparison to the Burris FFII optically.  Burris has just as good of a warranty  and is just as well built.

That's a matter of opinion. I will always pick a Leupold over a Burris.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:48:39 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
Quote from: Grubbs

That's a matter of opinion. I will always pick a Leupold over a Burris.  :D

See Redhawk, there are a few things we agree on! :D
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Catfish

Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 05:48:38 AM »
I`ve never used the warrenty on eather Leupold or Burrius, but have owned 2 Burrius scopes and both were junk. I now own abt 30 Leupolds, got my first one in 1968 and have never had a problem with a Leupold. The VX1 is the old Vari X 11 without the Lense coatings.Should be a very good scope.

Offline fj40

Leupold
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »
I think that the VXI is a decent scope.  It would no doubt serve you well for many years.  Its only downfall is that for the same price, there are better scopes on the market.  I recently compared the VXI, the FFII, the Elite 3200, and the new Buckmaster.  The VXI was the first to be eliminated.  To my eyes, it was not nearly as clear or as bright as the Elite 3200, or the Buckmaster. The FFII was better than the VXI, but not as good as the other two.  I am not a Leupold basher, but in this instance I think that you could do better.  I bought the Buckmaster, and so far have been very happy with it.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Opinions of Leupold VX-I
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »
I bought a new Bushnell 3200 instead, kind of as an experiment for my cheap Handi-rifle.    Most of my other rifles are topped by Leupold of varying ages and styles.    I must say the 3200 Elite is very, very clear and has the rainguard option which would be a plus in the situation you mentioned.  
It sure appears to be a better bargain at this point.   Only time will tell.

pepaw