Author Topic: Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol or Bow?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol or Bow?
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:12:47 AM »
Howdy,

I'm looking for folks opinions about what they use and why.  I know that for some it's legal requirements, so please let me know the reasons behind your choices and what surprised you.

Thanks,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:02:43 PM »
I use all (except pistol....but that will change next year) according to which is legal and where.  Of course bow gets used during bow season, but once the gun seasons hit I will take up the thundersticks.  If I had to choose one I would probably go with my muzzleloader.  Something about a caplock and deer just get me all warm and fuzzy inside  :) .  BUT, thankfully I dont have to make that kind of decision.  For instance, when it gets to raining I like the shotgun (simply because its easier to clean.)  And if I am going to be in the deep woods in rifle country then I would replace the shotgun with the rifle.
Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 04:05:16 PM »
I used to do a lot of bow hunting, including squirrels, and groundhogs, and such. I killed a lot of deer, and even quite a few turkeys before giving it up. My work season is really cooking during the early bow seasons here, and even during the summer I just don't have the extra time anymore to keep my practice up, and keep my archery equipment tuned up.

For predators(my favorite hunting), I use mostly either a scoped rifle, or a shotgun, with an occasional revolver hunt for them. For deer, and mostly all other game, I prefer either my open sighted revolvers, or my open sighted 357 rifle.

Hunting for me is no longer about sheer numbers of game taken. For me anymore, it's entirely for the thrill of the pursuit. If I actually connect, that's great, but if I don't, it's just as good, and even better in certain situations like finally getting a particular animal that I've been after for a while. I sometimes feel a little remorse when I finally get a wize old groundhog or other critter with my revolver after weeks, months, or sometimes even years of trying to out think him.

I'm not really all that "soft", but it is funny how the years of hunting really do make the priorities change...

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:09:49 PM »
For deer season, I'm now hooked on pistols for a couple of reasons...1)Portability.  I like the fact that I can put it in a holster when dragging a deer.  2)Cost.  I absolutely hate the thought of paying $2/shell for a shotgun slug, and the foster slugs would lead the rifled slug barrel for my shotgun.  3)Range.  After a long look at the distances I've shot deer, all but 2 have been under 50yds. or so...an open sighted revolver fits that bill nicely.  We are limited to shotguns, pistols, and muzzleloaders during gun season.  For squirrels, it depends on the mood I'm in whether I use a pistol, shotgun, or rifle.

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 02:36:36 AM »
Bow for sure, then rifle. Bow hunting makes you a must better hunter over all. Many times your quarry is out of range (what ever that is) and your forced to pass on the shot but the up side is you also get to observe whats going on around you. The number one thing you learn is ....patience!
   Now when your in the woods with a gun, after spending all those days with a bow, and you see a deer or what ever, you don`t feel compelled to  blast away at the first sight. Patience is taking over and you know if you  wait a bit you`ll get a must better shot.  Course if your quarry is running all bets are off,fire at will.
  Bottom line is bow hunting is the great relaxer. More times then not, you have to "watch" but you gain......patience.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."