Author Topic: grouse watch  (Read 1250 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
grouse watch
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 02:32:47 AM »
an oldtimer from Maine told me that Red Squirrels do a job on Partridge (Grouse to some) by eating the eggs....Anyone know if that could be true?....<><....   :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
grouse watch
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 08:18:44 AM »
MSP,
 I have never heard of them eating anything like that. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the eggs are simmilar in color to the nuts or whatever they eat and they may run off with them or break them.

snakeman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
grouse watch
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 09:20:52 AM »
Thanks Snakeman, it could just be an oldtimer's tale but sometimes there is a lot to be learned from the old stories....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
grouse watch
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2005, 04:28:02 PM »
MSP,
That is very true. I learned alot from my grandfather. He passed away in June. He had some good tales to tell.

snakeman

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
grouse watch
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2005, 04:51:50 PM »
from what i have learned from those wiser than me, pheasant in this area do not last due to predation, a lack of food, and a lack of cover. in simple terms, they are pretty well doomed when released.

however, pheasants are constructed mainly of bird meat and thus have a constitutional and god given right to be shot and eaten.

i have released farm raised pheasants for about 12 years now, and never saw any hold overs. grouse and turkey, on the other hand, flourish around here.

wild turkey, being made of of gravy, white meat, drum sticks, and really good tasting cooked skin, have successfully eluded me for two years now. this year, i will do my best to have one over for dinner.

remember, we can all be good nature conservationists by making room for all of God's feathered creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes !

chow !

SG
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!