Author Topic: Man Dies After Back Yard Deer Attack  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Man Dies After Back Yard Deer Attack
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:40:01 PM »
Go to http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5133642/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news to check out the story.  Kind of makes one wonder what caused this Blacktail Buck to go crazy?  I know that deer attacks are not unknown but it is rare.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 06:17:30 PM »
The wildlife officers should not have killed the deer for doing what nature tells it to do.  Killing it was stupid.  

It is not reported how the man came to be in such close proximity to the deer in the first place, although it is written that the deer premeditated its  attack against the man.  I suspect the deer was in the guy's garden and he went to shoo it away, putting himself in harm's way.  That is not the deer's fault.

People do dumb things around wild animals all of the time and with bad consequences.  Even seasoned veterans let their guard down on occasion and get seriously hurt (Sigfried and Roy).  There is apparently, for some people, no respect for wildlife any longer.  Wild animals bite, kick, gore, claw, stomp, slash, sting, and a host of other bad things.  Nothing unusual about that, except some folks just think, in specific situations, that being human is a higher place and forget somehow the rules really do apply to them.  

Human reaction in killing a wild animal that has injured a human, and the injuries lead to death, as if the animal had exhibited some premeditated, unthinkable and abhorent behavior, is, if you seriously think about it, wrong.  Animals do not premeditate about attacking people.  If they did, there would be a lot of dead hunters in the woods every year.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 03:06:27 AM »
Controlled round feed, 375 H&H or bigger!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=74421
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
Land_Owner,

The wildlife officers should not have killed the deer for doing what nature tells it to do. Killing it was stupid.
[/b]

According to the reports given to the television news reporters when the attack happened it came while the guy was in the process of picking tomatoes out of his garden.  The buck had been turned in for it's threaten behavior and the authorities had done nothing about it.  The buck had chased a couple of other people and wouldn’t leave the neighborhood.  What I would like to know is why when the first reports came in didn’t they tranquilize the buck and haul him back into the hills?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
Lawdog:  You know the answer and are holding back!  They have spent all the wildlife money on protected Mt. Lions.  After numerous sightings within a few miles a Mt. Lion was killed in a families yard near Colfax, CA.  The family will not be charged.  They were concerned about the safety of a school age child.

Earlier in the week a lion injured or killed a dog not far away.  It is unknown if it is the same lion.

There have been a number of lions observed lately in foothill communities the last few weeks.  

Back to the deer.  Most deer that have been raised in sub-divisions have no fear of humans.  I believe that some deer become conditioned by human behavior.  Normal human behavor is to back off from a buck that puts up any kind of front.  Once the deer reconizes fear in a human incounter it's behavior becomes more agressive.  The fish & game has recorded deer in the rut many different months.  Not just a couple.  We are getting on the edge of the rut now.  Normally the primary rut will start in November, but the rutting behavior is starting.  I have had some big bucks in my yard during the rut, and I stay away from them.  A few dogs have been banged around them.  I heard that one house dog was killed by a buck on the back deck of a home a few years ago.  Sub-division dogs which are penned-up, or keep in the house have no deer encounter skills.

The deer gene pool.  Yesterday I was watching a group of deer walk down the street.  When I walked from behinded my pickup a small spike reconized me for a hunter.  Like a deer in the wild, he dropped his head down low and headed for cover.  The does stopped poked their heads up and stared at me.  These deer have never been hunted.

There have also been more bear problems.  Clearly these lion and bears need to be move into Golden Gate Park.  FEMA could hire a contractor to do the relocation.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:13:38 PM »
Siskiyou,

There have also been more bear problems. Clearly these lion and bears need to be move into Golden Gate Park. FEMA could hire a contractor to do the relocation.
[/b]

Just give them time and they'll be in Golden Gate park.  The Wild Hogs have already been there and it cost a bundle for San Francisco to get them out(or so they believe).  They hired a team of a dozen trappers to live trap them and relocate them.  Lawdog

Offline SwampBuck

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 02:32:25 AM »
Quote from: Land_Owner
The wildlife officers should not have killed the deer for doing what nature tells it to do.  Killing it was stupid.  

It is not reported how the man came to be in such close proximity to the deer in the first place, although it is written that the deer premeditated its  attack against the man.  I suspect the deer was in the guy's garden and he went to shoo it away, putting himself in harm's way.  That is not the deer's fault.

People do dumb things around wild animals all of the time and with bad consequences.  Even seasoned veterans let their guard down on occasion and get seriously hurt (Sigfried and Roy).  There is apparently, for some people, no respect for wildlife any longer.  Wild animals bite, kick, gore, claw, stomp, slash, sting, and a host of other bad things.  Nothing unusual about that, except some folks just think, in specific situations, that being human is a higher place and forget somehow the rules really do apply to them.  

Human reaction in killing a wild animal that has injured a human, and the injuries lead to death, as if the animal had exhibited some premeditated, unthinkable and abhorent behavior, is, if you seriously think about it, wrong.  Animals do not premeditate about attacking people.  If they did, there would be a lot of dead hunters in the woods every year.

OK, lets use your theory then..If you honestly believe that, then you must honestly believe that, humans, as the dominant species on this planet have come to the realization that we need to protect our own, therefore killing, and trying to discover why this happened....is our instinct.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 04:46:15 PM »
Swampbuck,

You do not comprehend my reasoning.  Read it again.  I honestly believe what I wrote and no, I do not believe (honestly or otherwise) what you wrote.  

If I get my @$$ torn up by an alligator while in his swamp, there is no reason for you to go back to punish the alligator for trying to eat me.

On the other hand, if you get your @$$ torn up by a bear while you are in his woods, I will not go back to punish the bear for being at the top of the food chain and trying to eat you.

Should we be so unfortunate to realize either fate, or one as similar as the gentleman gored in the head by the deer, and succomb to our injuries, there is no reason for anyone to kill the perpetrator animal.  That's the Nature of wildlife; unpredictabe within the boundaries of the wealth of knowledge we have amassed about their species.

We will cease to call ourselves hunters when we can accurately predict the nature of wildlife to the extent that we "know" exactly how and when they are going to react. It will then be called farming and the "domestication" of the species.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 11:20:56 AM »
Land_Owner,

If I get my @$$ torn up by an alligator while in his swamp, there is no reason for you to go back to punish the alligator for trying to eat me.

On the other hand, if you get your @$$ torn up by a bear while you are in his woods, I will not go back to punish the bear for being at the top of the food chain and trying to eat you.
[/b]

The BIG difference is this buck went into the man's back yard and attacked him while he was bent down picking tomatoes.  And this was on the news this morning.  There are other bucks(at least two more) that are jumping over fences and attacking dogs in back yards.  Maybe something in the water?  Lawdog

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:56:32 AM »
Yall just won't believe me will you?  Them darn college boys experimenting with DNA I tell ya!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 01:44:36 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Yall just won't believe me will you?  Them darn college boys experimenting with DNA I tell ya!

Yeah but from what critter are they using to splice in?  Fighting Bulls or T-Rex?  Lawdog

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:28:05 AM »
Not sure, but it must be Africian......I suspect Cape Buffalo? :lol:
Barry Goldwater

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 09:17:04 AM »
According to F&G this month has set records for deer attacks in California.  They are warning people that it is the breeding season, and incidents are more likely.

Last night I was listening to the radio while returning from hunting.  Of course the death of the man in his tomato patch was the lead, then a deer attack two dogs in a yard, killing one.  The third incident does not register with me this morning, but serious enough to cause the fish and game concern.

In the mean time they are reporting 77 cabin break-ins near Lake Tahoe by bears.  Even the tree huggers are concerned about one bear.  They have hired a hunter to kill the bear, yes F&G has issued a permit.  So sad, they should move him to San Franciso or to Marin County.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 11:42:32 AM »
Siskiyou,

So sad, they should move him to San Franciso or to Marin County.
[/b]

They don't have to, they already have Black Bears in Marin County.  In fact it was about 1985(+/-) that a hunter shot/killed what he though was a Black Bear but it turned out to be a California Grizzly(Ursus Californicus).  These are listed as extinct.  You know the Bear on the State flag.  Although they have been listed as such every so often one shows up in the more remote regions of the Coastal Cascade Range and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Officially, according to the state records, the last California Grizzly Bear was killed in Tulare County in August 1922.  But I have seen two that were killed.  One in Napa County in 1967 and another in Modoc County in 1987.  Both were females and according to the state game biologist, both had given birth a number of times.  Makes one wonder doesn't it?  Lawdog

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
The bad bear is dead, and I have no problem with it.  It should have happen sooner.  Tonight news reports say the worse of the bears in Tahoe was killed by the paid hunter after breaking into two more homes.  

In addition the report says that officials believe that as many as 158 bear break-ins may have occurred.  But home owners were afraid to get a permit to kill the bear because they feared harassment from the local bear advocates.

Officials feel that it was a manner of time before somebody got hurt.  The homes broken into were vacation homes.  The bear was a male and weighed about 400 pounds.

Offline Questor

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 03:05:04 AM »
We had three of these within 20 miles of my house a few years ago. All within a few week period.  A couple of them were feeding the deer and one tried to keep a buck as a backyard pet. Bad idea.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 06:16:19 PM »
:shock: Several people have been killed by deer in Texas within the past few years.  An elderly man stopped at a road side park, he crossed a fence for a nature call and a buck attack him, knocked him down and stomped him to death.  The game folks said the man had got between a doe and the buck, it was middle of rut when it happened.  Another case, a man had shot a large buck.  There was a smaller buck with him, the small deer turned on the larger dead deer and gores it several times.  The hunter scared the small buck away, as he knelt down to field dress the dead deer the small buck hit him from behind, knocked him down and gored him to death while his wife watched.  She had a pistol but wouldn't shoot for fear of hitting the man or being attack herself.  There were several others but I don't remember the details.

I know from first hand experience that a deer can be a dangerous animal.  We were hunting near Mayhill N.M. when a friend shot a rather large mule deer.  He and I walked up to the deer, he punched it in the rear with his gun, the deer didn't move.  He layed his gun down, took his knife, grabbed an antler and stepped straddle the deer's neck to cut the throat.  The deer jumped up and took off running with my friend on it's back.  He was stabing the deer in the neck and trying to hang on.  After 30-40 yards he fell off and the deer continued to run for another 60-70 yards before falling over dead.  After my friend fell off he realized he had stabbed himself in the leg while trying to stab the deer, we stoped at the emergency room in Roswell where he got 12 staples.  He later said the deer didn't taste good so he gave away.