Author Topic: Shotgun stock for Handirifle  (Read 465 times)

Offline hazey

• Trade Count: (1)
Shotgun stock for Handirifle
« on: October 18, 2005, 09:53:44 AM »
I just purchased a used handirifle, and plan to get a 12 guage barrel with interchangeable chokes for it soon, and then eventually a 20 guage with modified choke.  

I have a few questions.  

1.  Will any shotgun stock fit the rifle frame? It is sometimes cheaper to buy them used or online instead of going through NEF.

2.  If I found a shotgun barrell used, could I put the barrell on myself, or is it best (safest) to buy a barrell through the barrell exchg program?

3.  About how much has the shipping cost any of you to send and receive your new barrell from NEF?

Thanks for your help :D

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:27:30 AM »
My personal opinion is that it is too much trouble to switch stocks back and forth whenever you want to go from using a shotgun barrel to using a rifle barrel on the same receiver.   New Pardner shotguns are not all that expensive (especially if you buy threw 'Wally-World') and used ones are cheaper yet.  I've seen complete good used Pardner shotguns at local pawn shops for less than what it would cost to buy a new factory barrel and pay the fitting and shipping charges.  My advise is to get one SB1 frame to use with any shotgun barrels you may acquire and one SB2 frame for use with any Rifle barrels you may get.  Just be sure to get a more recent made SB2 frame so that your barrel selection is not limited.  See explanation on H&R's web site and do a search of the FAQ thread for more details on this.  H&R does not recommend fitting your own barrels but if you have a little bit of mechanical ability, a touch of common sense and get a little advise from experienced board members here at GBO it can be done easily enough.  Just keep in mind that all fitting modifications should be done to the barrels not the frame or the rest of your barrels will no longer fit that frame properly.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline hazey

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 08:20:23 AM »
Brett,

Thanks for the message.  I took your advice and purchased a used 20 GA Pardner for around $70.

Considering I would have spent $39 for the barrel, $32 for a new stock, $15 to fit the barrel and at least $15 for shipping round trip... I guess I saved around $30-$40.  And still have my handi here for the rest of rifle season.  

I hope you will forgo the commision on the money you saved me this one time...  :)

Thanks,
Pete

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:46:04 AM »
First ones on me Hazey, next one will cost you a box of shells.  :wink:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
:-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley