Author Topic: slip-on limbsaver  (Read 942 times)

Offline tg

• Trade Count: (0)
slip-on limbsaver
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:17:57 AM »
does anybody know (preferably from actual experience) what size slip-on limbsaver recoil pad to use on an NEF synthetic  (12 ga.shotgun) stock, and if it's a decent fit?  i would assume you would have to remove the NEF recoil pad first before installing the limbsaver, right?  thanks.....tg

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Yup!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 11:33:26 AM »
I put one on my 20 gauge Pardner. Call me a wuss but repeated shooting left me a little tender. Cut the recoil by at least 2/3. Now it's just a quick shove. I believe I used the 'medium' size (don't have the package anymore). I took off my plastic butt plate and took it into the store. I then inserted it into the slip-on cover to check for fit. It seemed to work so that's the one I bought. No other brand seemd to fit good. And the 'medium' (I think) was the only size Limbsaver they had. It fits good and does not move. It's not super tight but not loose either. My only complaint is that the NAVCOM material that Limbsaver uses is 'grippy'. I had the tendency to catch my shirt sleeve on the 'cuff' part of the slip on cover. So I put one of those stretch nylon 5 round shell holders on the butt to cover over the 'cuff' of the slip on cover. Works very well as I have 5 rounds right near the breech for quick reloading and no more snagging the 'cuff'. I can literally sit and shoot rifled slugs all day (shot 5 boxes with 5 in each box of Win. Super X 2/34" slugs today) with NO discomfort at all. It actually has become one of my favorite guns to shoot since I put it on. It's addicting shooting gallon waterjugs at 50 yards filled with water, with slugs. :grin: Now I left my plastic butt pad on, I don't know if you are actually supposed to leave it off or not. But I do think it was the best $25 I've spent on any gun lately!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
convinced!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:49:02 PM »
You are not a wuss.  I had the same problem last weekend.  I just havent gotten to Gander yet for a Limbsaver.  I check out the patterns on their website and I found one of the screw ons that looked as though it would fit.  However, I have heard on this forum that the best way to go is to get the small size grindable and fit it yourself.  I think I will do as you did and just go with the slip on type.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline JimG

• Contributor
I should mention I did .....
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 01:15:22 AM »
look at the grindable ones. I do remember that they were the 'medium' size. However they did not seem as 'cushy' as the slip ons. Definately not a scientific way of determining recoil reduction (hmm... more 'cushy' :lol: ) but that's they way it felt when pressed and squeezed. I also just reliezed that the original poster had asked about putting one on a synthetic stock. Well don't those come with a 1-1.5" thick rubber pad? If so then I would remove the factory pad and slip on the new Limbsaver. If you leave the factory pad on it will drastically change the length of pull. Mine is a plastic butt pad that is 1/8-1/4" thick and has no real bearing on anything.

Offline tg

slip-on limbsaver
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 06:20:09 AM »
thanks for your input guys.  i got a couple more questions:  since i'd obviously have to remove the factory recoil pad or the length of pull would be way too long, is the fact that the synthetic stock is hollow going to be a problem?  also: as best i can measure, (after removing the factory recoil pad) it's going to take a size small slip on.  any help would be appreciated as to whether this would be correct.    thanks again.....tg

Offline jritter

slip-on limbsaver
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:16:52 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth,
I just bought a slip on limbsaver for my 45-70 handi at wall-mart.  The back of the package lists the handis and partners for the small sized, which is what I bought.  Doesn't fit perfect, but feels real nice to shoulder and helps with the recoil. I also used the plastic piece from the old pad inside of the pad, so it fits to the stock better.
"In the end, we conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught."

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
slip-on limbsaver
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 03:36:44 PM »
in general terms, if you are getting beat up from a shotgun, you're not shouldering it properly.

if you fire the gun with the stock not firmly held against your shoulder, you will get a kick from the acceleration of the gun caused by the equal and opposite energy imparted to the shot load and gun.

if you hold the gun tightly against your shoulder, the perceived recoil will be less. it will have the same energy, but will be spread over a longer period of time.

recoil pads add little mass to the gun to reduce perceived recoil and the "sponge" of the recoil pad is too slow to effectively pad or dissipate recoil energy. but, it does help you if you shoulder the gun properly because it will form fit to you as you pull the gun into your shoulder. this couples the recoil energy to your body mass more effectively, and that is what reduces the perceived recoil !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline phatspeed7x

Pardner shotgun stocks limb saver.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 04:47:03 PM »
I bought my 12GA, and the sales person recommended a recoil reducer. They had the Med size limb saver in stock, and I asked if I could try it on the gun before I brought it home. He didn't have a problem with it, and it fit like a glove. I can shot trap all day long with target loads, and not feel the pain. Just my .02
Adam Hanson

Marlin Model 60 .22LR
Mossberg Int. 702 plinkster .22LR
NEF Pardner 20GA limited edition
Ruger P89 9mm
Winchester Model 1000 air-rifle
K98 mauser 8mm with ATI stock