Author Topic: Bushnell 3200 problem  (Read 950 times)

Offline Deer&Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell 3200 problem
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:55:05 AM »
Just thought I'd share my experience.
I bought a Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 matte about 2+ years ago and mounted it on my Tikka 7 mag.  I started working on reloads to make it shoot good.  Basically, could never find a load that shot real well (less than 1.5" consistantly).  About 2 months ago, I got a wild idea and replaced the 3200 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.  I had also just bought an Omega 50cal and needed a scope for it.  I put the 3200 on the Omega.  Recently, I tried grouping the Omega 50 at 100 yards.  I would shoot, then adjust the scope.  Every time I got inconsistant movement i.e. up when I only moved left or right.  Sometimes no movement when I moved it down, etc.  By the way, I was cleaning the Omega between shots so to minimize the buildup effect.  All mounts are tight.  I also "bumped" the scope with my hand after every adjustment and ran the power from 3 to 9 several times to settle the scope.  Bottom line, I believe that its the scope not tracking with adjustments.  I am contacting Bushnell to see my options.

By the way, the new Monarch on the 7 mag shoots real good.  My first group(5 shots) with 160 Accubonds was about an inch.  My latest 5 shot group was exactly 1.0"; if excluded the first shot, then the remaining 4 shots went 0.45".  I am now confident enough to use this gun this upcoming deer season, but will continue to verify this particular load.  It has potential.

FYI, I have another Bushnell 3200, exactly the same, on my 7mm-08.  No problems, working great.

thanks,
Deer&Duck

Offline Deer&Duck

Bushnell 3200 problem - update
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »
Heres my update....
I sent my 3200 back to Bushnell, they received it on 10/21/05.  I received it back on 11/1/05.  Praise to Bushnell for a quick turn around.
Now to the problem.....
I suppose it can be called user error.  They said the scope was "very overadjusted".  This can result in bad things including jammed internal parts.  It seems that this 3200 only has 20 clicks of adjustment in any direction from optical center.  Thats only 5 inches.  It would be nice if they had mentioned this number somewhere in their paperwork.  OTHER 3200 OWNERS BE WARNED.  I always use a boresight device and I'm sure I adjusted it beyond its range of movement (41 clicks), thus the user error.  Bushnell suggested to use a shim on the rear base and offered detailed information on using shims.  Bottom Line- scope was OK.

Another thing to mention.  I suppose I am now "old school" as I always have lightly tapped or bumped my scopes after adjustments.  The Bushnell Tech was VERY adamant that I "STOP THIS".  He stated "This does nothing but mess up your scope    Bad Habit & serves no purpose but ruin your scope settings."  So others be aware, old habits may not be good.  However, I thought only the new Simmons Master Series had solved this problem......  I suppose Bushnell has also, but forgot to tell everyone.  Nothing like a Manufacturer making you feel like an idiot.

Bottom Line-  I still like Bushnell and their 3200 scope.  Still plan on mounting it on my next new toy......  BTW I installed a Simmons Aetec on my Omega 50cal and its seems to be doing well.

thanks,
Deer&Duck

Offline ftstinyc

Bushnell 3x9 model 3200
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:43:34 AM »
According to Bushnell's web-site the 3x9 3200 has a 50" internal adjustment from center. That would be 25" in either direction Or 100 clicks
each way at a 100 yds. There is no scope that I know of with only 5"
adjustment in each direction. 40 to 50" adjustment is about normal for a
hunting scope. Some of the target scopes get down to much less but not
5".
tinyc

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Bushnell 3200 problem
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:44:06 AM »
What are you guys honest assessment of the 3200 vs the Burris FFII?  I've never looked through the 3200, but the Burris is pretty nice.  I'd like to mount it on my .223 and get rid of the piece of crap that's on there.
thanks in advance.

Offline ftstinyc

Bushnell 3200 problem
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 07:21:22 AM »
I don't have a Burris fulfield 11 scope but I do have the 5x15x40 model
3200. I love this scope. It is very clear and tracks perfectly. The best part
is that if you don't like it in the 1st year they will give you all your money
back no questions asked. Best price is at the Optic Zone for this scope at
$259 which is about $50 cheaper than anyone else. You also can't deal with
better people.
tinyc

Offline 32WINSPL

Bushnell 3200 problem
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:20:01 PM »
I have two new Bushnell scopes, a Banner 'Dusk & Dawn' 1.5-4.5X32mm Wide Angle[ $110.00] mounted on a Marlin336CS and an Elite 3200 2-7X32mm(rainguard but non-firefly)[ $289.00] mounted on a CVA Buckhorn .50Cal muzzleloader....I have to say that I find no difference in the ability to see in low light conditions between the two....The Elite reticle appears rather brownish in colour and slightly more difficult to pick up then the Banners black colour. Same multiplex reticle in either.......Eye relief also seems more critical in the Elite were as the Banner is more forgiving when you place your cheek on the comb.....Elites adjustments appear to be repeatable, Banners I am not so sure ........................I am hoping the 'Rainguard' coating will be worth the cost as otherwise the cheaper Banner seems to give all I require.
.......................................................Best regards......BC

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Bushnell 3200 problem
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »
Quote from: Grubbs
What are you guys honest assessment of the 3200 vs the Burris FFII?  I've never looked through the 3200, but the Burris is pretty nice.  I'd like to mount it on my .223 and get rid of the piece of crap that's on there.
thanks in advance.

Personally, I think the Fullfield II is a better scope than the 3200.  I've owned a couple of the Elite 3200's in 3-9x40 and 10x40, and I I was never really all that impressed with them.  Glass was OK, but not on par with the clarity of the Fullfield II's in my opinion. I have four Burris scopes, and I'm in the process of buying another one.  Now the 4200, that's a different story.  But the 3200 simply isn't a 175+ scope in my book.   I'd spend the money on a 3-9 Burris with the ballistic plex and never look back.
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"