Author Topic: Yardage Pro Compact 800 ????s  (Read 408 times)

Offline Firehawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Yardage Pro Compact 800 ????s
« on: December 13, 2005, 05:57:30 PM »
I have had a Yardage Pro Compact 800 since they came out.  I had a couple good years with it and then it started having problems.  I sent it in to Bushnell and they promptly sent me a brand new unit.  I have had this unit for a couple years and now it is exhibiting problems.  Can you help me?

I will pull the unit out of my pocket (typically cargo pocket in my waterproof or wool pants, or wool shirt pocket) and go to range an animal.  I would consistently get a reading of "16".  I tried using the "rain" mode or the >150 mode to make sure I wasn't reading a branch or something and it would still have the same reading.  

This happened a few times this fall and only after getting frustrated would it start to read correctly again.  It never did seem to read at real long distances as good as it used to though.  Rarely anything beyond 485 yards . I ended up killing a nice cow elk at 378 yards in the snow a couple of weeks ago but only after getting really upset because I couldn't get the unit to read anything other than "16".  I assume that the "16" is some diagnostic code but I don't know what to do.  Should I send it in again and see if they can fix this one?

Is it time to start looking at a new rangefinder?  What units should I consider?  How do the Nikon Monarch 800 units perform?  How about the Bushnell Elite 1500 unit?  Should I spend the extra bucks to get a Leica?

Maybe Jon from the Optic Zone can chime in and give his opinions and experiences with this unit.  Is this common?  What does it mean?

Thanks for your help as I am really frustrated, but also scared to spend money that is really tight right now.

Firehawk

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Yardage Pro Compact 800 ????s
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:13:56 AM »
Firehawk,

I am not sure the problem.  I have never heard of this problem before so don't really know.  Like you said it maybe a "Error Code" in the processor.  As for the new rangefinder, Bushnell is having a few issues with their new Elite 1500, so I would probably stay away from that one for now.  The Nikon Monarch 800 on the other hand is a great rangefinder and is very accurate and has been very reliable.  It is actually one of the most popular selling rangefinder that we carry.  I highly recommend them if you are looking at getting a new one.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!