Author Topic: Antler rattling, doe in heat scent, etc. What works?  (Read 715 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Antler rattling, doe in heat scent, etc. What works?
« on: March 04, 2003, 08:00:00 AM »
I'm planning to hunt whitetails for the first time (years of hunting mulies and blacktails) and was interested in the scent suppression discussion.
What should I take out hunting? Am thinking doe in heat scent, a grunt call, maybe some antlers to rattle as it will be rut time, and a stand of some sort. I'll be hunting public land so the stand will have to be portable. The climber type tree stand might work but getting set up in the dark would be noisy and maybe dangerous. There are popup tent type ground stands that would set up quicker and more quietly.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Offline LOG EYE

Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 02:37:14 PM »
You are apt to get as many suggestions on how to and why as you do replies to this question. I'm from Michigan and have hunted whitetails with bow and rifle for  over -well, a lot. Just a quick suggestion, if you are going to hunt DURING the rut, don't waste space or time with rattling antlers. The best time for that is during pre-rut and mid-December before the 2nd rut. During the rut a very leathal combo is to use GOOD estrus doe pee product and deer calls(vocalizations).  Put out scent wicks  about 10 -15 yds  in 2or 3 directions around you so you cansee approaches to your position. This next part is where the fun begins, use a call to give 2-4 estrus doe BLEATS, wait 5-7 minutes, repeat. After the 3rd set,if no action, do a series of TENDING BUCK grunts. Put down your call and pick up your gun cuz the dominant buck is going to see who is stealing HIS doe. GOOD LUCK, Maybe you'll get an 11 point to wall hang like I did,and 2 8's ,a 9, a7, and -oh,heck, just go 4 it. :P

Offline jhm

Antler rattling, doe in heat scent, etc. Wh
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 04:23:22 PM »
the first thing I would do quite a while b-4 the season opens is scout the area I was planing to hunt and find the exact spot that I was going to use for my stand make sure it had deer in the area and that I could come and go into it in the dark as that is generally when you will be going into it, I would go for the tree stand if possible so as to get you higher so you can see whats coming and going better, the ground blind if thrown up the night b-4 hunting is going to be spotted by the deer and be a dead give a way you are there.  The doe in heat, the grunt call, they are always in the back pack, as you stated you have some hunting experience on the other species so go forth and have fun and be safe. :D   JIM