Author Topic: is the 6mm-284 light for florida deer?  (Read 404 times)

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
is the 6mm-284 light for florida deer?
« on: November 12, 2005, 01:34:27 AM »
i usually shoot in thick stuff, so i use brush gun cartriges, to put an animal down real quick. and i'm not worried about long range performance, but im going to be hunting a much open area, bordered by swamps this year. i have a 6mm-284 it's a cooper varminter, very accurate, with 95gr. partitions. i bought the gun for long range groundhogs. is this good for our smallish, northern florida deer? usually not much heavier than 150 lbs, not like the super small key deer down south florida, but smaller than an ohio or indiana deer. the longest shot i would be taking from my stand area, is about 250 yards so thats not very long. but does the 6-284 got enough poop to do the job when it hits meat? i know when i hit something with my 180gr. .357 cast bullet, or a 170gr. 30-30 bullet from my contender carbine, at 40yards max! it will do the same thing every time, go all the way through almost every time, from any angle, or am i going to have to choose my shots more carefully? the front sholder is the target i shoot for. rib shots can walk too far to find sometime in our thick swamps. and i'm not shy about a texas heart shot, as long as the critter is standing, not running! is the 6mm 284, up to the task?

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 05:10:25 AM »
The 6mm-.284 will work very well on your deer, with the correct bullet.  It's high velocity can be a challenge to "normal" bullets at shorter ranges, but your choice of the 95 Partition is a good one.  It will cleanly kill deer to 250 yards given good bullet placement.  However, I do not believe that the shoulder joint or the Texas heat shot would be appropriate with this cartridge - it may work, it may not.

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 06:07:35 AM »
if i do use it this year, i'll let you know how it did. i would be comfortable with my ugly old swedish scout in 6.5x55 but i wanted to take one with my cooper. thanks for the reply!