Author Topic: 257 Roberts takes first deerand now has taken a second one..  (Read 754 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
257 Roberts takes first deerand now has taken a second one..
« on: November 05, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »
Yesterday the 257 Roberts  Handi toke the first deer with a 100gr Speer Hot core bullet at 175 yrds ( steps). A perfect neck shot demolished the vertebrae and exited. The Mulie doe would easy go 200 lbs.

My two other rifles the 25 Hunter and the Ruger#1 25-06 toke one each White Tail doe. No surprises there.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
257 Roberts takes first deerand now has tak
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 06:25:07 PM »
Congrats Fred, way to go!!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:18:09 AM »
Fred:  After all the time, effort, and money you've devoted to that rifle, that's one well deserved deer!   :D   Nice shooting! :grin:   Regards, Mainer
NRA Life Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:19:56 AM »
Way to go!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:46:40 AM »
Congrats Fred :agree:

Now...how about some pics of them... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:59:33 AM »
Congratulations,Fred....all the hard work paid off with a beautiful rifle and meat on the table    :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:36:26 AM »
Nice going Fred!

You must have a "thing" for them .25 cal rifles.   :grin:
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 10:39:02 AM »
Good going Fred. :agree:  Your freezer ought to be getting pretty full, you can always store some of your venison in mine. :grin:

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 11:57:49 AM »
Thanks to all you fellows. As you all know the rifle was used a lot to shoot gophers, and a long shot to take a badger  and two coyotes. One of my friends came over to pick up the Mulie doe. Since the the two White Tails are more than enough for the two of us, and some of that meat will go to Vancouver to our two daughters.

He had a look at my Handi and said my,that feels like a toy gun it so light and short. He did not realize that my barrel is as long as his on his bolt action. So any shorter barrel than 24" would make it even look more diminutive. Then when noticed it was a single shot, he could not believe I hunted with a single shot. We talked about the Handi before but he never knew it was a SS.

One thing I must say the balance, the weight and its distribution is just about perfect. I did not have a formula to go by. It just turned out that way. I am very pleased.

When it comes to handing the Ruger#1 and the Handi are not in the same league. The Ruger #1 25-06 is a fine rifle but I will relegate it for Antelope hunting only.

Mac as soon as my rich kids will give me one of those digital cameras for x- mas I will start taking some pictures I am too poor to afford one.
My big reflex camera is too glumsy and too heavy to take hunting.  :cry:
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 12:04:20 PM »
Fred,

congrat's on finishing up that Handi' project so well.   glad to see your work turn out with such a decent piece as a result.    excellent choice in caliber, too, by the way; but that's just my opinion.  some may not agree with it, i'd guess; but that's one 'interesting' caliber for deer and black bear.   i once had a very strong desire for the same thing.  everything i read about it said: accuracy and reasonable barrel life.    maybe some day i'll make it happen yet.

congrat's on "making meat" with that shooter as well.  

i hope all is well with you and yours.

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »
Knight0334

You must have a "thing" for them .25 cal rifles.

Yes I do like the 25's all of them. The 257 Roberts came about the round about way. I wanted to duplicate my 25 Hunter. Which is not suitable for the Handi for several reasons. This is an HBR cartridge, it is difficult to make and operates at a pressure the Handi does not like.

The 257 Roberts has a larger case and can be loaded at a much lower pressure than the 25H. I have four 25 cal rifles three for hunting and one for HBR. You may ask which of the three hunting rifle performs the best.

The brutish 25-06 will out distance the Roberts with its sting ray trajectory.  But I don't shoot that far away to take full advantage of of its potential. At 300 + - they all the do the same thing, the least pretentious is the 25 Hunter with it BR accuracy it just gets the job done on deer and so does the 257 Roberts with the identical performance.

When folks talk about the cost of the 257R Handi conversion, I can honestly tell you that is the cheapest custom rifle I own by a long shot.
It would even be so if did not do most of the work myself.

Each rifle has a definite preference for a bullet and load, and the Roberts is not an exception. They all have one thing in common super accuracy and light recoil. To me that that counts a lot.

Saftysheriff thanks the appropriate words about the 257 Roberts.

The Handi will go deer hunting a few more times since I still have two deer tags to fill. These next two deer will also be gifts to another friend.

With one deer I will refrain from a head or neck shot to give that Speer Hot core bullet a run for the money by shooting high  for the point of the shoulder and hopefully penetrate the vertebra and I will take a picture for Mac.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 06:07:45 PM »
That's ok Fred.....I appreciate it.. :toast:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 02:08:45 AM »
good job fred :toast:  nice to see that all your hard work paid off
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 10:21:34 AM »
257 Roberts shot #2 got got the buck. Not the big one we were stalking he got away twice. I toke the young buck  with my African shooting sticks that my friend gave as a present. The buck toke off in waist high cover ran 100 yards and stopped deciding which way to go and looking for me.

I gently and slowly laid the Handi in the sticks crotch, happened to find a small opening window in the trees and fired at the tip of the shoulder with the idea to hit the vertebrae but I was a couple of inches too low, he ran 50 yards and piled up dead with not a drop of blood left to pump.

The 100 gr Speer Hot core bullet went clean through both shoulders and mushed up the inside good. As it was getting dark I did not have time to do a good autopsy. But that bullet did a bang up job.

I think I like that Hot core bullet, it is cheap and shoots 1/2" groups. Give them a try. That bullet will from now on be the 257R dedicated bullet for deer. I made some pictures and have to get them developed. The light conditions were not the best. We will see.

I have one more deer tag for up north we will hunting deer and moose in the next two weeks I hope. I am not quite sure what the hold up is.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 10:26:34 AM »
Alright Fred!!!! Keep up the good work!! :D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 12:31:42 PM »
Ok fellows after tooting my horn about the Speer Hot core bullet, I have to
pull in my horns some.

After skinning the buck I was astounded by the damage the bullet caused on both shoulders. The whole front part of the body, the rib cage and even one side of the neck was blood shot. Not pretty if you like venison as much as I do. Although there is no shortage with three big deer.

I know any bullet will cause bad news when shot through the shoulders. The bullet did expand to cause all this damage with still enough bullet substance left to punch through the off shoulder blade and leg bones.
All in all this is outstanding bullet performance notwithstanding meat damage.

Eh you guys would a 35 Whelen do a better job??????

I am certain if you shot through the lungs behind the the front leg the deer will not go very far. My preferred shot is the head or neck in all cases when possible and that goes for the Speer Hot core.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.