Author Topic: Trackes II 12 guage slug gun  (Read 745 times)

Offline Stan The RT Man

• Trade Count: (1)
Trackes II 12 guage slug gun
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:41:16 PM »
Hi all.
I got my first slug gun yesterday. It is the tracker II 12 ga. rifled barrel.
I went to the range after work today,( cold windy sleet ect) I was surprised by the recoil. I was using plain old winchester 1 oz. slugs. It shot absolutely outstanding at 25 and 50 yards. I am too much of a wimp to walk out to the 100 yard target in the cold wind.lol
I would like to know if the sabot slugs recoil as much? I am using 23/4".
We don't have much of a selection for slugs here in Livingston, most everyone hunts with long guns or bows.
I am somewhat handicapped, and can't walk as far or drag a deer very far anymore, so I am going to take advantage of the abundant whitetail hunting in the farmers hay stacks.
Wish me luck,
Stan the RT Man

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
Go get em Stan, That deer meat will taste great this winter!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 03:00:28 AM »
Congrats on the new gun and welcome to GBO. If you are going to shoot the cheap slugs you have to keep cleaning the lead out of the barrel. Once it gets leaded good you accuracy will disapear. The sabot that I use, federal premium 2 3/4" with the barnes expander bullet, work so well on deer that I'll shoot the expensive ones. I don't spend a lot of range time and the cost isn't that big a factor.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Paul Mohr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
Whether the sabots kick more will depend on what ones you shoot. How much powder they use and how heavy the slug is will effect that.

Slug guns for the most part kick pretty hard. Yours may kick a bit harder because the trackers are a light rifle. The Ultra Slug guns don't feel that bad because they weigh more. Then again they are not that fun to carry around either :wink:

You could add some weight to the stock (the ultra's use a steel bar) or get a better recoil pad. They also make reduced recoil loads, but the ballistics are lower as well. To be honest you will not notice when hunting, only when practicing.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Stan The RT Man

Thanks for the replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:51:17 PM »
I really appreciate the replies. I have never shot the sabot slugs before. The owner of our local sporting goods store is going to get some in for me. I don't know what kind yet.
I did know about cleaning the barrel  from reading this forum.
I am still amazed by the accuracy of this gun.
Thanks Stan the RT man.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
What part of the world are you in that a sporting goods store doesn't have any sabot slugs?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Stan The RT Man

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 05:06:55 PM »
I live in livingston, Mt. I also went over to Bozeman the other day to Bob Wards, one of our bigger sporting goods stores, and they didn't have one box of slugs of any kind in house.
I don't know what to tell you, but slug hunting is not high on the list of hunters around here.
There are a lot of BP hunters, and Archery, but mostly long range hunting.
I am sort of forced to stop tramping the range and coulees, due to 3 back surgeries last year, ending with a 3 level fusion.
I can sit next a hay stack and shoot all the deer I want, tags permitting.
I bought 2 white tail doe tags, and 1 mule deer doe tag, and a general deer tag, so we should have lots of good eating meet in the freezer this year.
Stan the RT man

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 02:15:38 AM »
Your good to go now Stan, Keep visiting and keep us up to date on how the hunting and shooting are going....<><.... :grin:

P.S. - for about $15-$20 you could buy a 12 gauge Lee Loader and start loading your own slugs! It's fun, easy, and cheap!!!!
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 05:42:01 AM »
Would recommend that you add weight to the stock to reduce the felt recoil.  For my 12GA Tracker II, I used a section of copper tubing which fit perfectly, and filled it with lead.  It makes a big difference, although it still kicks pretty good.  Thats why I usually use my 20ga ultra slugger instead.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 08:21:14 AM »
In addition to some lead in the butt try to get some in the forend, it'll take a lot of the snap out of the recoil and help ballence the gun better.  Take a dremil tool and hollow out enough of a cavity to get 6 or 8 oz of lead up under the barrel and it will really slow it down, I think more effectively than the same amount in the butt.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »
I like Markus don't spend alot of range time with my 12 ga Tracker II.  When I did it was nasty it kicks very hard. But I can't remember the recoil when shooting it at a deer.  All I know is the round goes where I want it and the deer doesn't go very far from where I hit it.  I shoot the Remington buck hammer.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)