Author Topic: Blacktail question  (Read 534 times)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Blacktail question
« on: August 09, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »
I don't have a trail camera (YET) so help me out here. I have a 10.5 acre farm with many apple trees off my back deck. This is my first summer here. The freakin' deer are all over the place. Does, fawns, all over. In fact, I'm looking at one right now. Any apple in reach is fair game, fallen ones don't last long.

So where are the bucks?? Coming at night? I'm in an area of houses that aren't close to each other, but near some serious tracts of woods in the NW.  Last year while remodeling this place in the fall a sub thought he saw a single buck, but up till now I've only seen does and fawns. The one doe sleeps ON my patio once in awhile....    but we never see the bucks.

Gotta be coming at night? Or at all? Maybe I'll light it up from the house at night to see, but don't want to spook them if they're around. Any of these trail cams work at night w/o a flash?

Just wondering out loud.

:D

RR

Offline rockbilly

Blacktail question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:08:14 PM »
:D Gotta be one of 'em suckers round there somewhere, how ya think all dem fawns got there.  In't not unusual in a congested area to have large bucks that are never seen.  At one time there were several living in a commerical section of Dallas.  You would see them 2-3 in the morning, then couldn't find them with a pack of dogs.  If you keep a sharp eye you may see them during the rut.

Offline Lawdog

Blacktail question
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »
Blacktail bucks are one of the skittish critters around and the bigger they are to more leery they become.  They don’t get big by being dumb.  The bucks are there but they are feeding at night.  Of course they may not be feeding on your trees either.  Their feeding grounds may be located in a more secluded spot.  To find them is going to take some scouting about but if you look you should be able to find them  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline pathfinder

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Blacktail question
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 06:57:08 PM »
I usually locate buck territory by finding their rubs.  PNW blacktail bucks near my home tend to hole up in dense pockets.  Once I find a rub (even an old one) I scout the area looking for anything that might be a trail, sources of water, beds, tracks, scat and a good place to ambush em.  

I try to scout where I hunt several times during the year but once the hunting pressure starts everything you think you know changes.  I figure the more I can find out the better my chances are.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Blacktail question
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 05:27:35 AM »
Quote from: Rogue Ram
I don't have a trail camera (YET) so help me out here. I have a 10.5 acre farm with many apple trees off my back deck. This is my first summer here. The freakin' deer are all over the place. Does, fawns, all over. In fact, I'm looking at one right now. Any apple in reach is fair game, fallen ones don't last long.

So where are the bucks?? Coming at night? I'm in an area of houses that aren't close to each other, but near some serious tracts of woods in the NW.  Last year while remodeling this place in the fall a sub thought he saw a single buck, but up till now I've only seen does and fawns. The one doe sleeps ON my patio once in awhile....    but we never see the bucks.

Gotta be coming at night? Or at all? Maybe I'll light it up from the house at night to see, but don't want to spook them if they're around. Any of these trail cams work at night w/o a flash?

Just wondering out loud.  :D  RR

http://www.blacktailcountry.com/

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
I FOUND HIM!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 06:54:21 PM »
HOLY COW...... I brought home some night vision goggles from the office.....  :shock:   Walked outside a few minutes ago, standing not 25 yards from the house in the dark was a nice three or four point buck....as big as any medium size blacktail gets around here. Another year or two he'd go to the taxidermist if I were to ever bag him.

Guess it appears they are just showing up after dark.  Does and fawns are here daily getting what few apples are left......I suppose he's doing the same after dark.  Can't wait to see what else is lurking out here.

Funny, he's looking in here watching me type this.  Its bow season, maybe he'll stay here awhile.

RR

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
WOW!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »
Wife calls me up at work, says there have been deer here all day........does, fawns, and now a nice forked horn. Came home with the Night Vision goggles again:   :shock:   :shock:   :shock:  6 deer in the back yard, including forked horn and one NICE 3 point.

If these goggles weren't so expensive I'd buy a set just for me. Its incredible what you see out there in the pitch black.

RR