Author Topic: 'Handi gone to heck' update.  (Read 679 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
'Handi gone to heck' update.
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:31:38 AM »
I pulled the fore-arm. Nothing looked out of place. I put it back on and went to the range. With the fore-arm screw tight I got an average group of 1.1875" CTC at 50 yards with Hornady 40gr and the 3 shot groups where falling to the upper left of my aim point.  When I backed the screw off some the groups where averaging 1.125" CTC and to the lower right of the POA. With the fore-arm removed for firing and the bottom of the action resting on my rest the groups where averaging 1.5" CTC and somewhat centered. So I would say that the fore-armwas the culprit the other day, however it is not the culprit now. Yes the groups moved around on paper but the group size stayed roughly the same. This is better than the other day BUT 1+" is NOTacceptable in my book for a .204 at 50 yards!! Something is not quite right here. I'm going to go over the gun with a fine toothed comb from crown to buttpad and see if somethings a- miss. The groups still are basically double the size from when I had the wood factory stock on the gun.

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Sights
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:47:12 AM »
What are you using for sights? Scope Iron? Sounds like something is not as torc as it should be for best shooting.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 02:49:01 AM »
Copper fouling?  Nicked the crown?  Different batch of ammo?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »
Crown or surprisingly check the tightness of the buttstock, you can put enough stress on the reciever by over tightening to affect the grouping!!!....<><.... :grin:

And of course, waht Brett said, we sometimes overlook the obvious, are you using yhe same ammo and if so is it the same batch number?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:48:06 AM »
With all the .204 factory ammo available, I'd try something else, mine doesn't like the 40gr Hornady, either. It shoots the 32gr best. I've also tried the Winchester silver box, HSM and Remington. I'd like to try the 34gr Winchester whitebox, too, but it wasn't available at the time. I've since decided to handload for it since I'll have so much brass for it once all my factory ammo is shot up. The .204 Handi is just like any other Handi, you gotta find the ammo it likes or handload for it. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JimG

• Contributor
I'm going to try the 32gr
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 08:09:12 AM »
The butt stock bolt is cranked down. Maybe I got it too tight. :grin:

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 08:23:16 AM »
For what its worth, the 40gr bullet in the 204 will only marginally stabilize and only with with the highest velocity you can get.

The 1-12" twist was designed with the 32gr bullets in mind. A 1-11 inch twist is what you need for 40gr bullets.

Some cases with less than 33.0gr HO2 will not get the velocity with out the pressure going through the roof.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 08:28:52 AM »
For what it is worth, I have been working with a .17 barrel chambered in .17 Remington.  It shoots OK, however the groups were about 2 inches at 100 yards until yesterday.  I took the ejector parts out of the rifle and latched it up without the forarm, and there was a small amount of play in the action from side to side.  Not much, but if you grabbed it and twisted you could feed and see it a little.  I put a .0015 shim in the hinge and it was gone, so I fired a group and guess what?  Nice half inch three shot group.  At least on this rifle, any play without the forarm and extractor mounted in the barrel is too much.  I am now letting the JB weld cure to hold the shim in place in the hinge, I used a .375 inch rod and a large C clamp to put a lot of pressure on the shim while it was setting up.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Hmmm.....
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 04:45:58 AM »
Hmmmm......Good to know about the 32 vs 40 gr. I did not know that. Thanks! :grin: