Author Topic: 12 ga ultra group ?s  (Read 477 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
12 ga ultra group ?s
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:54:59 AM »
Hey all just fired my 12 ultra slug and was wondering what groups I should get from 50 yards? I am shooting off a picnic table with 5 to 10 mile winds crossing my path to target. The gun has a muller 2x7 with red dot,and I am using 2 3/4 lightfields, winchester supreme, remmington core loc. How do you all measure group size, center of bullet to center of bullet, farthest edges ? THANKS ALL AND GOOD HUNTIN!!
P.S. ANY TIPS ON SLUGS OR ANYTHING ELSE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Offline jeff223

12 ga ultra group ?s
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
center to center is how to measure the group size.

how did your gun shoot?group size?

hows the trigger on your gun.if it needs a trigger job i would get one done on it and the group size will get smaller with a good trigger.lots of good slugs out there to try for a 12ga.to bad some cost so much$$$you can burn up some dollars in no time playing around with a sluggun

i think you will find the ultraslug will outshoot alot of rifles with the right slug out to 100yds or so and the $$$ spent on slugs will then tell the tail.

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
12 ga ultra group ?s
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »
Hey thanks jeff223 for the info. The group sizes are winchester supreme 2 1/2  center to center, lightfields 1 1/2 center to center, remington core lock 1 3/8 center to center.  I sure like the hole the lightfields make but Ill have to shoot a few more rounds to make my final decision. Do you think the wind had any effect at that range?

Offline jeff223

12 ga ultra group ?s
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:18:08 PM »

here is a picture of some slugs that were recovered.the one on the left (Federal Barnes Expander)  was recovered from a buck that was shot at about 90yds,the one in the middle is a (foster slug) that was recovered from a doe that was shot at about 25yds and the one on the right is a (Lightfield) slug that was picked up off the ground under the impact piont on a tree at 100yds.as you can see the Lightfield still has the plastic wad attached.the wad stays with the slug all the way to the target.the Lightfields shoot with very good accuracy but i got away from them because i feel the wad draggng behind the slug slows it down way to soon.this slug didnt even stick in the tree,but hit and fell to the ground.

these are all 20ga slugs but it is something to think about.lots of guys using the Lightfields with good results and i might even shoot them out of my 12ga Tracker II sometime but when your hunt is on the line im going with a more premo slug

i dont think the wind would affect the accuracy to much at 50yds but the recoil on your shoulder over and over might?? :)