Author Topic: Getting Something I Always Wanted...  (Read 639 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting Something I Always Wanted...
« on: November 24, 2005, 08:27:12 PM »
Well fellas, I'm getting something I ALWAYS wanted in my life.  

Since my Chevy P/U was totaled out by an idiot, I've had to do much thinking about what type of vehicle to get next.  I won't buy "new" nor will I finance anything, nor will I pay exhorbant insurance, nor will I pay exhorbant taxes, nor will I allow something to depreciate $5000.00 in 10 months, soooooooooo.

My options were limited quite a bit. It's got to be a 4X4 no matter what - since snow is measured in feet here in Colorado, and shooting is done in the mountains during the summer....hmmmm.....what to get?  A "Thrifty Nickel" of course!

Then the old dream emerged from years gone by.  "Why not a Jeep?"   Somewhat good on gas, definitely good in snow, and drives like a John Deere tractor.  Inexpensive to maintain, and a great vehicle for my daughter to learn to drive on. Bingo!

I found a guy living in a remote valley who had one for sale.  It's a 1995 Wrangler Rio Grande with a 4 banger and 5 speed xmission.  I go to see it during my limited hours off work this Monday, and WOW!  Garaged all it's life, only 94,000 miles, and in showroom condition!  I'm tellin' ya, not a scratch or dent worth mentioning "anywhere" on this thing.  Doesn't burn any oil either.

My daughter and I go for a test drive in it, starts right up without a hiccup, and it's tight as can be!  Steering, suspension, tires, seats, carpet, everything is great shape.  Oh, and he's put a new rag top on it ($600.00) and he's throwing in a bikini top and a cover for it also.  It's got a steel, after market front bumper, a jerry can holder on the back, and a NEW panasonic CD player also.

On a handshake, he does the bill of sale right there even though I didn't give him a dime that day since I'm still waiting for my settlement check - perhaps tomorrow?

Only problem is, my job accidently shorted me about $500.00 on my overtime this pay day, and I won't see that for another two weeks, so I am praying to almighty God he lets me have it anyway this week with some easy payment arrangements for two weeks.  I've got to get my rental car returned by Monday, so if he doesn't, I won't have anything to drive again.

Anyway, I'm already thinking of a "personalized license plate" that says "IDIOT" since I got one of them to thank for getting me into this jeep!  Not only that, but I can spare other commuters the trouble of calling me names since I drive like a grandma anyway.

So here I am dreaming and waiting.....waiting for my settlement check, and dreaming about lift kits, sheepskin seat covers, and warm summers in the mountains with the top off!  I've already decided, when the second settlement check gets here (the one for my injuries) I'll get my daughter her own Jeep also so we can go 4 wheeling together.....yup, got it all planned out - so I hope God keeps his hand in this!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:23:35 AM »
I'm standing with you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:41:38 AM »
only 94,000 miles

Maybe it's just me but the word ONLY and 94,,000 miles just don't belong in the same sentence in my world. Yeah I've driven my share of vehicles that have had that many and more miles but it's been my experience in over 40 years of owning and driving vehicles that when the 100,000 mark rolls over a lot of work is needed on a regular basis on them. Hate buying used but sure have had to many times over the years. But long ago I learned to try to find one with no more than 30,000 or so on the odometer when doing so. Just about every time I've not followed that plan I've regretted it eventually.

A rag top in CO? Man that don't seem wise to a fellow from the south. I've long wanted a jeep and never owned one. Maybe some day if I live long enough. But even here in sunny Bama it's gotta be a hard top for me. With AC too and a good working heater.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 03:09:51 AM »
I had a '79 CJ7 with the 304 cu v8 and full time Quadra-Trac 4 wheel drive for a while.  I had the springs re-arched and added a leaf to it for 3" of suspension lift (no body lift for me).  I then hung Monroe gas magnum shocks and 32" General Grabber AP tires on each corner.   It had a soft top that I ran in the summer and a hard top for the winter.

I have to say it was the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. The Quadra-trac was amazing, it would go threw mud and snow like nobodies business.  It was a blast to tool around in on a nice summer day with the top down and doors off.  And it was great for going to things like balloon festivals, outdoor flee markets and fireworks displays where you often had to park out in some muddy field.

It was also the most impractical vehicle I have ever owned. As TM7 noted it road like a buckboard, consumed gas like I owned shares of MOBIL, and had a noisy choppy ride that would wear you out after 3 or 4 hours.  The cargo area behind the back seat was just a little larger than a bread box.  I eventually removed the back seat for more cargo space since at the time it was only me and my wife.  

It was a love hate relationship to say the least.  There are times when we really miss the old 'heap' and if I ever get to the point financially where I can afford to keep a third vehicle on the road just for weekend recreation I would probable get another one.  But as a main means of transportation, no thanks.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:57:56 AM »
GB, I hear what you are saying.  In my experience, the 100,000 mark has been the danger point on V8 engines and many American vehicles.  With a little 4 banger though - and one that has had the oil changed every 3 thousand miles (he's kept a log) there is little to worry about.  Worst case scenario would be I'd have to replace the engine - which I could do myself on a Saturday for about $800.00.  As a former aircraft mechanic, I'm not challenged by a Jeep's mechanical design.  In fact, I know it would be easier to work on than my Chevy pickup.

I once paid $9000.00 cash for a Toyota 4Runner that had 60,000 miles on it.  I drove it for 10 years without having to do anything more than routine maintenance, but the best part was - no car payments for a decade!  When I sold it, I got $4000.00 for it!  The Chevy P/U that was just totaled out, I had paid $5000.00 cash for it, and put a brand new GM engine in it after owning it for 2 years or so.  I would have been good to go for another 5-6 years had it not run into an idiot.  

Ragtops are common place in Colorado and not a big deal when it comes to the weather.  One of the best kept secrets in Colorado is that we average 320 days of sunshine a year, with extremely low humidity. Weathermen retire here! The heater, and the AC both work great on this Jeep.  As the previous owner did, I'll also be keeping it garaged when it isn't being used.  If I walked out my front door right now, I could point out 3 ragtops and one hard top parked in my neighbor's driveways - only because it's the day after Thanksgiving and everyone is home today except me - who has to leave for work in a few hours.

For me, buying a used vehicle is the only way to go if a guy wants to hang on to most of his money.  Of course, he does have to be careful and knowledgeable mechanically speaking.  Some used vehicles are worn out, and others are a steal.  You've just gotta know what your looking at - and also know the history of the vehicle if at all possible.

Any "Jeep" after 1995 is not a Jeep.  1996 is when they turned into aluminum cans filled with plastic.  1995 is also the last year that the Jeep had the front leaf spring suspension.  1995 was the last year of the true Jeep, and only because Chrysler hadn't started tooling in it's own design "improvements" yet.  The newer Cherokees, Liberties, etc are crap in my opinion - having unibodies and weak suspension, etc.  They are really cars made to look like Jeeps.  One of the keys of the older Jeeps are their simplicity of design.  They are very inexpensive to maintain, and very good on gas.  Unless, like Brett, you swap out the engine for a V8.   The stock 4.0 6 cylinder is one of the most reliable engines ever made in the USA.

It is true that Jeeps are noisy and bump on every crack in the road, but who can deny the FUN?  There is just something about ANY vehicle that puts a smile on your face every time you turn the key.  These are the vehicles that we get romantic about.  There isn't much that can compare to having the wind in your face, and the sun on your shoulders when you're driving to work!  For a guy like me, there are so many things I can do with a Jeep that it is overwhelming.  I'll miss being able to haul stuff around in my Chevy P/U, but hey, that's what little trailers are for, and I don't plan on just owning a Jeep forever either.  Eventually, I'll get another P/U - when I find the right one, and gather up enough cash to buy it.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »
BamBams;  My '79 CJ's 304 V8 was actually factory not a swap out.  And your right Chrysler has sissified the jeep to make it's ride and handling  more acceptable to the yuppie and female markets who rarely if ever take them off road.  Many costly modifications must be done to one of the post '95 YJ's to make them off road worthy.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 07:02:20 AM »
My apologies Brett.  I didn't know that the CJ's came stock like that.  Part of me would love to have that engine in a YJ, but my pocket book dictates an emphatic "no way."
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:56:28 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
My apologies Brett.  I didn't know that the CJ's came stock like that.  Part of me would love to have that engine in a YJ, but my pocket book dictates an emphatic "no way."

Yep, I know the feeling.  That and the birth of our daughter were two of the reasons I had to let it go for a more 'practical' vehicle.  Maybe one day I will have another. I like the new long wheelbase version that they recently reintroduced.  It should have a little more cargo space and a little better ride.   By the way when you mashed the gas peddle on that ol' 304 all 4 of those Grabber APs would squeal on dry pavement.  Yee haa!!   :D

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »
30 years ago I bought several 100K miles vehicles, replaced the timing chain and rebuilt the carb and got good service till the tranny went out at about 150K.
Now days I buy 100K vehicles, replace the brakes and put Slick 50 in every 40K miles. The one I just retired had reverse go out at 300K. Just wasn't worth fixing at that point. It was a 92 Ford 150.
I replaced it with a very nice Dakota 4X4 Club Cab with 110K miles. The 5.9L may not make 300K but I bet it will go well over 200K.
Book on this truck was $9,900.00. Got it for 8K on a cash deal.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »
Had a '94 Wrangler with the log o' power 4.0 liter in-line six and a 5speed.

Loved that thing, will have another before I die.

Also owned a 1984 Toyota 4-Runner, I will have one of those again.

Hope the new to you Jeep serves you and your daughter well.

Nixter

Offline BamBams

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
My 4 Runner was also a 1984!  My only complaint was that the 4 cylinder wasn't enough to get up the mountain pass on the way home from work.  I believe the 4 runner was just a little too heavy for that size engine - otherwise, it was a GREAT vehicle.

I think that, with this jeep being a 4 cylinder also, all I'll have to do is swap out the gears for something around 4.88.  That should more than compensate for the 123 horsepower.  Of course, a suspension lift kit is a must around here, and probably some 31 or 32 inch tires.  All in good time, but the gear change is going to be my first improvement.

Buying used isn't a bad idea if you do the math.  Even if you have to replace half the drive train, the brakes, the tires, the suspension etc, it's STILL cheaper than financing a new vehicle today.  When you think about the debt, all that interest, being strapped with a high payment each month, the depreciation, the super high collision insurance, the super taxes each year, etc....that adds up to many thousands of dollars over the years.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:20:30 PM »
Bams-
You have a good head and I know you are trying to do all that you can. Keep it up and keep the faith it will return profit too you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »
The newest set of wheels i have ever owned is the one i have right now an 02 ram 1500 extended cab , Had to get the longer cab to fit mama & kids in  :grin:

I still like the classic american muscle cars of the 60s and early 70s , Those were cars i could work on without a laptop  :eek:

But my all time fav. was my 1954 In. 3/4 ton PU with a strait 6 -- My first set of wheels .

Bambams === Good luck with the Jeep , If your ment to have it the lord will see that you get it .

Stimpy  :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped