Author Topic: Kel Tec .380 ???  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Kel Tec .380 ???
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:05:57 AM »
I was wondering who has a .380 and shoots it? How is the function?

Thanks,
              Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
I bought one and love it for what it is. Short range, hard trigger pull, rugged pistol. I ran 2 boxes of steel jacket Wolf ammo after a little buffing with no misfires. I've owned about all the Kel-Tec pistols and like this .380 the best. Sure isn't a target shooter but at 20 feet goblins don't stand a chance.
Rick

Offline Japle

Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:25:40 PM »
I've had one for a year or more.  Had to replace the extractor (they sent one free for the asking) and it's worked 100% since then - 600-700 rounds.  
The "P" sight is highly recommended.  
I carry in a Desantis pocket holster, mostly as a BUG, loaded with CorBon.

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »
No problems with mine except the guide rod retainer at the front of the slide will fall out when cleaning. Small and hard to find. I use STX's in mine for carry and they function well.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 04:11:05 PM »
I also own one and would definitely NOT recommend it -- can't get the gun to chamber a round even by manually racking the slide.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Will

Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »
I've got one and also had to replace the extractor ( no charge.) They've since redesigned it an evidently solved quite a few problems. Mine shoots 100 percent now.

The .32 is more proven, the slide locks back and the recoil is much less, although you have a little loss in power. My wife carries the .32, and even she forgets about it at times (she dropped it in the toilet on accident the other evening, as she carries it in the small of her back.)

For the money, either is an excellent CCW gun for those of us who can't conceal a 1911 year-round.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Savage

Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »
I have two of them, I carry one or the other everyday.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jebsr

Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 11:45:19 AM »
carrying one right now in pocket holster, functions well with hp.  easy to carry shoots okay, 6 to 7 inches at 7 yards

jebsr

Offline sherpa

kel[-tec .380
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 01:15:21 PM »
very nice for ccw disapears in a pocket... i did have fail to eject and fail to chamber with wolf ammo  but it could have been because i had not cleaned it  i bought mine used for $199.00 plus tax when i did field strip it it appears to have a  polished  feed ramp. i will try  some more wolf ammo this weekend. i did put about 100 rpund through it when i first got it with winchester white box with no problems.
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 01:28:17 PM »
I carry my second generation P3AT (with the new extractor, etc...) each and every day.  I've put several hundred rounds through it with no problems after initial break-in (two failure to feeds in the first 50 rounds).  I've used the belt clip all summer, but now that it's getting cooler and easier to conceal a more authorative pistol, I'll probably take the clip off and use a pocket holster.

When you have a KelTec, there is virtually no reason to not have something that goes BANG on your person at all times.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Kel Tec .380 ???
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 04:43:19 PM »
I've carried my P3AT for about 1½ years... and it's a delight as a concealed carry pistol.  It's very light and easily hidden.

Initially, I had some jams and failures to extract or eject using aluminum-cased cartridge, but that cleared up after about 150 rounds.  I also had failures to feed hollow points with large openings during the first 150 rounds I put through it.  I've found that my particular pistol doesn't "like" Winchester ammo.  However, it shoots other brands of ammo just fine.

I use 90 grain Federal "Hi-Shok" jacketed hollow points in it which it feeds fairly well... and only slightly hesitates to feed on the first round of a full clip of ammo when operating the slide by hand... or when it is well-coated with "pocket fuzz".  

Now... with approximately 350 rounds put through it, it functions well if it is kept reasonably clean & lubed.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sherpa

kel[-tec .380
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 05:08:06 PM »
175 rounds of wolf through it last week end  no problems..i am very happy with it. i bought 50 rounds of wolf hollow points at the gun show this week end for carry... hope they feed as well as hard ball...
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.