Author Topic: Mule Deer hunt in Montana  (Read 699 times)

Offline Buckfever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Mule Deer hunt in Montana
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:32:10 PM »
Just got a call from a buddy who has set up a mule deer hunt in Montana.  I have a 6.5x55, .308 and a 30-06.  Probably have to shoot 300 yards accurately.  Can I get it done with loads for either caliber or do I have to get a different gun? I have never hunted mule deer and don't know how tough they are.  Also have usually used heavy for caliber bullets for woods hunting.    Thanks  Buckfever

Offline ricciardelli

• http://stevespages.com/page8.htm
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:27:42 PM »
Well, I have been hunting mule deer in northeastern Montana since 1986.  

For the first 10 years I used a 6mm Remingotn with an 85 grain Sierra HPBT bullet at ranges from 35 feet to 300 yards.  Obtained complete one-shot, one-kill success.

For the next 4 years I hunted them with a .25-06 Remington using 120 grain Sierra HPBT bullets from 65 yards to 425 yards.  Obtained the same 100% success.

For the next 4 years I used a 7mm Remington Magnum with 168 grain Sierra HPBT bullets at ranges of 120 yards to 600 yards.  And, once again had 100% success.

This year I am using the 7mm Remington Magnum...haven't seen anything with horns worth shooting, but have seen a lot of doe.  Season ends on the 27th, so sometime before Thanksgiving I have to go get me two of them...

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:16:42 AM »
I've shot Idaho mule deer over the last 35 years with the 6mm Remington-100 grain SP, 30-06-150 grain SP, and a .50 cal. round ball out of a traditional muzzleloader.  They aren't necessarily that tough, it's about knowing your rifle and shot placement.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:43:36 AM »
I just got back frm Montana and have the 3 calibers you mentioned. I picked the 308 which is the most accurate (in my case).  I dropped a good mulie in his tracks at about 250 yds.  I used 150 gr. Winchester poly tips and was impressed with the performance. I had the meat processed but I think it broke both shoulders and went completely thru.  I had taken antelope previously with the gun/bullet combo and it gave pass thru shots.   I had a Burris ballistic plex scope on it and carried a range finder in case I needed to shoot 350 to 400 yds.  I had the combo tag and  after I got the deer I carried the 30.06 for elk.  I put a 2 x 7 on the 06 and sighted it in with 180 gr Rem Coreloks and 165 Sierra GKs.  I didn't get a shot at an elk so I can't give a report on its performance.  I like the 6.5 x 55 for Arkansas whitetails but I try to use all the guns or they get jelous.  The new Tikka Whitetail hunter deluxe  in .270 couldn't go because it is still a safe-queen with no scratches.  Any of your guns are more than ample. - good hunting.
James