Author Topic: Brush Scope  (Read 1021 times)

Offline squirrel_hunter6

• Trade Count: (0)
Brush Scope
« on: March 04, 2003, 07:24:42 AM »
The place where I have recently gotten permission to deer hunt here in North Alabama is very dense. Due to all the brush and trees you can't see more than 60 yards.

I have a lever action Marlin 30-30 with iron sights and was thinking about getting a scope for it.  What power scope is recommended for this kind of enviroment. I was thinking of getting 4 x 32. What are some of the opinions out there?
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Post and crosshairs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 08:08:12 AM »
There's a discussion on the post and crosshairs scope on the optics board now and you might want to check it out. They are scarce, but a post and crosshairs reticle in a low power like 2 or 2.5 would be ideal. Something like the old Weaver K2.5, if you could find one.
Another good choice would be a tang mounted peep sight with the eyepiece removed. They are back on the market. Almost but not quite as quick as a low powered scope with post and crosshair.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Brush Scope
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 11:34:03 AM »
Red dots are great in the thick stuff as well.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline RON KONTOWSKY

• HTTP://WWW.DEANSGUNSHOP.COM
Brush Scope
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 03:33:15 PM »
If you can afford a leupold by all means yes, but being in this business long enough I found alot of people cannot, to stay in the $125.00 range I highly recommend the 1 3/4 -4 x32 Bushnell Trophy with circle plex  reticle, very bright ,rugged and is not like looking down a toliet paper tube.

RON KONTOWSKY
DEANS GUNSHOP II
YOU`RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB!
MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE ONE GUN AT A TIME.
DEANS GUNSHOP 2
586-716-3460
www.deansgunshop.com

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
brush scope
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 11:03:52 AM »
SqHu,
My eyes were never that great,so I have quite a bit of experience with scopes;mostly at close range.
I have one of those old Weaver K2.5's with the post and crosshair reticule.
I bought it around 50 years ago,and still use it . The Weaver Company in El Paso will install that reticle in your scope if you send it to them.
The best/cheapest deal that I know of is buying an old Weaver at a flea market or gunshow(I bought one last year for six bucks),then send it to El Paso to be refitted. The cost is around 55 dollars.
I also like the Leupold vari X2 in 1X-4x.(at 3 times the cost),which is better in a more open enviroment.
Frank
Frank

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Brush Scope
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 11:45:11 AM »
:grin: I've got a 2.5 power shotgun scope on my Remington 742 that I use in thick cover. I haven't used it much lately. It's a tasco but it worked fine for this. If I was to replace it  I'd buy a Leopold or burris in a similar single low power. I don't like the reddot as well as a low power scope.

Offline harley

Brush Scope
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 01:53:56 PM »
I elk hunted for a few years with an older north Idaho native who used a  lever 45-70. Keep in mind that in the panhandle of Idaho there is a lot of JUNGLE, I mean thick stuff. After the shooting starts thats where the critters go. This old guy had a lazer pistol sight mounted to his forend cap.He hunted elk like he was jump shooting rabbits. Saw him bust a 6x6 from the hip at about 40 yards. This was the deadliest THICK cover set-up I have ever seen.
Ride Free-Ride Far