Author Topic: stronger ejector spring  (Read 242 times)

Offline rp85

• Trade Count: (0)
stronger ejector spring
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:01:04 PM »
hello;

to solve the problem of sticking cases, has anyone changed the ejector spring to a stronger spring?  if i stick a case, .223 rem/243 win, only a slight tap with a cleaning removes the case.  does a stronger spring increase the failure of the ejector itself?  thanks for any input.

rp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
stronger ejector spring
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
Fred has this to share....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69106&highlight=ejector+spring

I polish the chamber with #800 grit and follow up with 1200 grit wet and dry cloth lubed with thin oil or penetrating fluid. A strip of paper is inserted in a slit wood dowel and spun with an electric drill. The Flitz and J-B paste job does not really smooth the chamber it makes it shiny and it helps in most cases. I found it inadequate. But you need a 20x bore scope to tell.

The get a bit more spring pressure on the ejector. I put a smaller spring inside the main spring and put a #2 or a BB (.150 -.160") steel shot into the spring race way with the spring on top of the steel shot. It helps with stuck cases.

You have to give the ejector a mirror polish on the rounded front part so the ejector rides smoothly over the case into the groove. Works pretty good on two of my rifles.

I found that with multible reloads the cases loose their spring back and will stick. With full sizing high pressure cartridges like the 243 and the 25-06 will only last 8-9 reloads and then show signs of case separations. Same with my 257 Roberts. I started with 50 new brass and discarded more then 50% sofar. When going after game best use new brass, or factory ammo in a Handi.

Case separation are not gun friendly for several good reasons, for one they blow all sorts of dirt behind the ejector and leave a stuck case in the chamber. All around bad news.