Author Topic: Anyone tried Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Anyone tried Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs?
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »
Yeah!  That's a mouthful for a shotgun slug.

Has anyone tried the Remington Ultra Bonded slugs?

What did you think of them?

How well did they work/shoot for you?

Would you recommend them to others?

THANKS!

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Core Lokt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:28:05 AM »
I have not used this ammo, but will start now that I know they exist. I use Remington Core Lokt in anything that I can locate the specific ammo for use, in what ever gun possible. As you have guessed I love Remington Core Lokt@!   :D

Don Jackson Remington Magnum

Offline 3s3k

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone tried Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bond
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:42:29 AM »
8)
 8)

I have used them in my 20ga USH with 2-3inch groups out to 125yds
consistantly, could possibly go out farther with better optics,that being said I use Lightfield Hybred Exp's most of the time since most shots for me are less than 100yds and the Lightfields are a lot cheaper.Not to say I don't keep a couple handi just in case the longer shot presents itself.GL

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 09:07:45 AM »
Yes the 12ga 2 3/4 " and they shot well but my barrel liked the winchester 2 3/4" nosler partition better then the remingtons. These are the supreme partition gold # SSP12 same bullet weight as the rem. 385 gr. at 1900 fps

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:54:52 AM »
This is my FAVORITE long range slug!! The old rem copper solids shot better in my gun but these are no slouches either!!

It shoots about an inch at 100 yrds, from my Ultra slug 12 ga. I am very lucky, my H&R will shoot the Rem Buck Hammers right at the point of aim at 100. It shoots them into a tennis ball sized group everytime at 100. The Ultra slugs hit the target at about 2" high at 100, without touching anything!!
 I carry BOTH slugs, switch as the range requires.

I have only shot one deer with them, Excellent results. In my hunting group there are a number of guys shooting them. The general consensus is they like them, if only they where a bit cheaper!!!

Give them a try, if they group well, tryem, this season, they wont let you down!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:26:06 PM »
Just tried this slug today in my 20 USH.  The copper solid is a little more accurate but does not have the long range capability (too light in my opinion).  Copper solid is shooting dead on a 100 out the ultra shoots 2" low, had one flier but the other 3 group was inside 3".  Like everyone else, I wish the price was a little lower.  Anyone ever cast and reloaded slugs for the USH ???

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 05:31:50 AM »
I read an article the other day that stated the rate of twist should be 1in28" for the higher velocity slugs (1900fps)and that the conventional 1in35" for the slugs moving around 1500fps. I have a new ultra slug barrel which has the 1in35 but i am getting great accuracy with the high velocity slugs, i chose the higher velocity slugs figuring they would drop less for long range slug shooting . (150-200 yds) In order of preference from my barrel #1 was the winchester 2 3/4" partition gold #2 was the 2 3/4" federal barnes expander #3 was the remington ultra core-lokt and #4 was the 3" winchester partition gold (2000fps) the groups with these were starting to open up.   After the season is open i want to try the Hornady SST to see how they work. I will add that if i ever forgot my ammo all of the above shot accurate enough to use if i could not find  the winchesters.     Later Tanoose

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 10:41:37 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Some good experience was shared and I appreciate it!   8)

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:27:54 AM »
Although this is an old post, I just tried the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra bonded sabot slug today, in 20ga 2 3/4" out of my Ultra-slug Hunter.  I was getting ~ 1 1/2" groups at 100yards with both the copper solids 2 3/4" and also 3" barnes expanders.  Today at 50 yards (because it was a little windy), I found that my gun cannot shoot these slugs.  I shot two 5-shot groups that were both in the 10" range!  Thinking something was wrong with my scope, I went back to the Barnes Expanders and shot a 1" group (3 shots) at 50 yards.  I wonder if it is because of the high muzzle velocity of 1900fps?  It seems that others here have some good success with this slug, but not me.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 03:58:05 AM »
Yes, we have shot two whitetails this year with the Remington Cor-Lokt 20ga. offering and both whitetails died within 50 yds of being hit. No exit wounds from either buck. One buck weighed 186# dressed. Accuracy with our one Tracker shotgun is superb while the other is so-so.

I would highly recommend this saboted slug. Check my other topic for more information. Busta also has good info in another topic about the saboted slugs now offered.

As with all Trackers, your results may vary depending on what your barrel likes. We have used both the Win. Partition Gold and the Remington Cor-Lokt, both have had good results.................Chainsaw

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 05:38:54 AM »
The first year (2003) I used the Rem Ultra Core-Lokt in my USH, was getting outstanding groups from 3/4" to 2". I shot a big 8 pt high through both shoulders with the bullet just under the hide on the far side. The next year (2004) I bought more of the Rem Ultra Core-Lokt (different Lot #) and they didn't shoot worth a hoot, 5" range.

One thing though if you find that they shoot well and you plan on using them, go back to where you bought them and buy all of them you can afford with the same lot #. The lot # is usually stamped or printed on one of the flaps. After shooting slugs for over 30 years, I have found that Lot #'s do make a difference in slugs. You may get lucky with a different #, but don't shoot all of one lot # practicing and then go buy another lot # to hunt with and assume they are going to have the same POI.

One more thing, the barrels do get warm if you are shooting too fast. If you want your best groups and want to know where your gun hits on a cold barrel, you need to SLOW down at the range. Break it open and it will cool much faster between shots and use the rubber O-ring on the forend lug. If you pop one off right after another you will have a warm barrel and most times it will have a different POI. Good luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member