Author Topic: Simmons 3-9x4 Prohunter riflescope : Is it good?  (Read 902 times)

Offline coyote trapper1929

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Simmons 3-9x4 Prohunter riflescope : Is it good?
« on: November 16, 2005, 05:04:19 AM »
Hi:

Has anyone used the Simmons Prohunter series of riflescopes? What are your opinions of it? I have a chance to buy a brand new in the box Simmons Prohunter 3-9x40 riflescope from my gunsmith for $40.00. He says it is last years model. Would this be a good riflescope to buy?

Thanks,

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Simmons 3-9x4 Prohunter riflescope : Is it
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:21:36 AM »
I'd say go for it. The new Master series scored **** outta 5 and simmons are reliable in my opinion. I got the ProDiamond (a prohunter for shotguns) and it works fine.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 01:17:57 PM »
what about the prohunter handgun scopes simmons has now?
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 03:21:15 AM »
I've seen people at gander Mt. with prohunters on magnum pistols.
Midwayusa reviews were all 4 stars or better and included mounted on T/C ENcore hanguns in 7mm-08. So i'd bet on em'
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 03:43:03 AM »
I have a Simmons 6X on my 460 S&W 15" Encore pistol.......hasn't failed so far.........

Offline 06shooter

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »
Go for it!  I have a Simmons 3-9x40 and it has been on several rifles over the past 12 years.  It suddenly stopped holding zero and I sent it back to Simmons.  They fixed the scope and did additional lens cleaning, and refilled the nitrogen at no charge other than shipping.  I had the scope back in less than two weeks from when I sent it in.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »
Really?   Got it back to you in 2 weeks?  That's what I call great customer service....... :grin:

I've never had a bad opinion of Simmons, but have always thought that a fellow could do better for a little more money......

Your report has raised my opinion some.......thanks..........

I haven't seen any of the new high end simmons, but hear they are pretty decent.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:23 PM »
As most of our members and guests know, I am not a fan of Simmons scopes.  I have personally seen just too many fail.  The only line that has failed more is BSA - pure junk.

I am glad to hear that there are others that have had good results.  Keep in mind that customer service is great, but if your scope fails (like one of you said), then having the scope repaired with a 2 week turnaround is not going to make me feel any better when I am hunting hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away and the buck of a lifetime passes me by.

Unlike rifles, where you can buy a fairly inexpensive rifle that shoots accurately (i.e. Savage), with optics you generally get what you pay for.

Zachary

Offline coyote trapper1929

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 02:11:05 AM »
Which is a better model of the Simmons riflescopes: The Atec(SP?) or the Prohunter Master Series? Also, has anyone used the Simmons Prohunter 6-18x40mm riflescope? This would be for Fox and Coyote hunting.

Thanks,

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 03:03:13 AM »
Yes Zachary I tend to agree with you..........but with the many good reports on the new Simmons, Meullers etc.....that may be changing a little......but we both know you get what you pay for right?  Some folk drive Mercedes and others drive nissans.........they both get you where you want to go and both are very reliable...........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater