Author Topic: 19-223 calhoon  (Read 920 times)

Offline turbocat

• Trade Count: (0)
19-223 calhoon
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:08:25 AM »
i'm researching this caliber, and would appreciate any info .  james calhoon has a good site that i've studied, but would like opinions not connected to him.  any thoughts on the package deal or the barrel kit? thx

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
19-223 calhoon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »
I was also looking at this round several years ago. It should be a grear preformer, but I gave up on it when Ruger anounced the .204. There is very little difference in the 2, but there are alot of different manufacture makeing bullets for the .204 and as far as I know only Calhoon for the .19 cal. Jim make great bullets, and his .19 gn. .17 cal. bullet shoot the best in my .17 AH., but if you don`t stock up on his bullets when you have the gun buit and he goes out of busniess bullets will be hard to come by. If you`ve played with wildcats you know that the market for a used wildcat is very small and you have a very hard time selling them and can`t get much of a price for them. If you have one built and and keep it untill you shot out the barrel the cost is not that much more and the preformance maybe worth it, but that is a desion only you will be able to make. I have a CZ 527 America in .204 that is a tack driver and abt. identical to the .19-223, but is a factory round which would be very easy to sell if I wanted to where the .19-223 wouldn`t. I have nothing against wildcats, I have 6 of them, but I realize that getting my money back for any of them is imposible. Plus dies for the more comman wildcats usually start at abt. $100 and go up for the less common ones.

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
19-223 calhoon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:00:50 AM »
I agree with catfish.....my choice would be either a Tac 20 (.223 brass is everywhere and .20 cal bullets are easy to find these days)  or the .204 Ruger. The difference is small but guarantees ammo availability.