Author Topic: Hammer not hitting the firing pin on my new 204 ruger  (Read 418 times)

Offline Mac_G

• Trade Count: (0)
Hammer not hitting the firing pin on my new 204 ruger
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:18:35 PM »
I shot about a box and 1/2 of rounds in my new 204 ruger to get it sighted in.  Last week I went hog hunting and had my sights on one and I fired and nothing; so I thought my just a bad round.  Then this week again I went hog hunting and nothing I check the gun and notice that the hammer is slightly above the firing pin.  Can anyone help or do I need to take it to a gunsmith or call the manufacture.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Hammer not hitting the firing pin on my new
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »
Most likely the transfer bar has fallen out.  If you (with an empty chamber) cock the rifle and then pull the trigger all the way back while letting the hammer down slowly you shuld see the transfer bar in front of the firing pin and the hammer should strike that and push the firing pin out.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac_G

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:47:32 PM »
Now I don't remember seeing the transfer bar there. How do I get one if its not there anymore.  I have the gun at my father-in-laws house.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:59:34 PM »
Call CS (customer service) at H&R, it seems lately there has been a rash of broken or more often transfer bars that have fallen out, they have not been properly peened in place if I remember correctly. This was never a problem in years gone by but is a relatively new occurence. H&R should send you a transfer bar for free for you to install (they have done it dor others here recently with the same (new and commonly recurring) problem. You can also elect to send them the gun for free repair, while it's there you should ask for a free trigger job. I also think you should mention that many on this site are having this same problem recently and hopefully they will get it resolved. They are good people at CS, they don't make the guns but get them fixed for us and they do a GREAT job. Remember all they ever hear are complaints and gripes when a gun does not preform up to expectations or breaks, they never hear from we customers when things are going well.  Perhaps a little kindness towards them and some good words will help make their day, I know it would not hurt....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:42:54 AM »
It might be a good idea for everyone to check the transfer bar when they first get there rifle,instead of taking it hunting. All you have to do is pull the hammer back until you can see the transfer bar coming up and take a small screwdriver and check to see if it will push to the right very far,or off the pin.If it makes a gap between the 2 pieces that are hinged together,then its time to fix it before you head to the range,or hunting. Maybe Mac or Quickdtoo should put it in the Stickeys.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac_G

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:48:46 AM »
Sounds like I will make a call to customer services this afternoon, and I would like to see pic's if someone has them on how to put the transfer bar back on.  I am no gunsmith so some pic's would be nice, and thanks for all the responses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:57:18 AM »
There's lots of good info in the FAQ and other stickys above, Perklo's trigger hone instructions are in the FAQ which include R&R of the transfer bar, here's a direct link...

www.perkloafm.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain