Author Topic: Are they or aren't they, Harrington& Richardson/NEF  (Read 658 times)

Offline Hawgcaller

• Trade Count: (0)
Are they or aren't they, Harrington& Richardson/NEF
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
I have seen in FAQs where they deny it, yet the advertise being Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms.
I realize it is their company to do what they want, but why deny the moniker, but call themselves it in their Catalogs.

Van
Watch the Hands!
Attack Me, I Need the Practice!!

Offline JPH45

Are they or aren't they, Harrington& Ri
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »
I think that the bankruptcy and buyout in some way prevented marlin from using the Harrington and Richardson name on the product. A new company was organized, we know it as New England Firearms (NEF) Nothing wrong or against the "rules" using the Harrington and Richardson name in the literature, just can't stamp it on a firearm, at least that is how I understand it.

Edit: legally, a lot of difference between Harrington & Richardson; and H&R1871 Which of the two is being used?
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:30:40 PM »
I "think" this is a fairly accurate run down on it.

First there was H&R a fine old company that made low priced guns of several types. Not fancy and not pretty but decent solid buys. They got in financial trouble and went bankrupt.

I think it was an employee buy out or some such that brought them back under the H&R 1871 name. That one too didn't last as it was in financial trouble from the get go.

I think Marlin in some way got rights to the H&R guns but NOT to the name and if I recall correct both Marlin NEFs and H&R1871 guns were being offered at the same time.

Eventually Marlin ended up with the whole shebang and that's the way it is today.

At least that's the best I can recall of the history of how it all came about. Not being a particular fan of them but just a person interested in the gun industry I might have mixed it up a wee bit but I think that's pretty close.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:42:29 PM »
Here is a link to a quick synopsis of the companies history posted on Chuck Hawks web site. Hope you don't mind GB.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/h-r_rifles.htm
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:53:47 PM »
Much more in depth that what I'd posted. I'm not sure I realized that both NEF and H&R1871s came from same factory. I might have once known it but sure had forgotten if I did. Chuck obviously has more interest in these brands than this old graybeard.  :lol:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:06:40 PM »
Quote from: JPH45
I think that the bankruptcy and buyout in some way prevented marlin from using the Harrington and Richardson name on the product. A new company was organized, we know it as New England Firearms (NEF) Nothing wrong or against the "rules" using the Harrington and Richardson name in the literature, just can't stamp it on a firearm, at least that is how I understand it.

Edit: legally, a lot of difference between Harrington & Richardson; and H&R1871 Which of the two is being used?

JPH45,

I just had to go open the safe to make sure I had it right before I posted. I have a 3 yr old Ultra Varmint and my sons 1995 NWTF JAKES Topper Jr Classic that has HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON stamped on the receiver. The Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe has the full names also.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 11:06:54 PM »
Tim,is what caliber is that? 40_?  is it a custom caliber?
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline Hawgcaller

Thanks guys
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 01:51:00 AM »
I had posted a question earlier on this forum about my son-in-laws inherited gun, but there was some response but I decided to email h&r customer service and ask them. They replied that they are" not Harrington and Richardson nor their sucessor", and to check Nurmrich for parts, some person named Walker for repairs,and the blue book of gun values for other information.

However, on the very last page of their 2005 Catalog, they refer to themselves as Harrington and Richardson in two different places?????

You fellows are great, for helping me, the ChuckHawks link, was interesting. I know you guys can see the perceived attitude from them on some customer service issues such as this one.

Thanks,

Van
Watch the Hands!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 01:59:23 AM »
All Toppers are part of the Harrington & Richardson line also and are stamped as such.

As Quick noted the Ultras, BC and Target models are all H&Rs.

The H&R line has a little better polish and finish than the NEF line and as a general rue sport the fancier stocks.  The NEFs have less polish and are generally stocked with the nondescript pallet wood stocks though I have heard of some sporting laminate stocks from time to time.  

You could think of the H&Rs as the Cadillacs of the company's line and the NEFs as their Chevrolet line.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Hawgcaller

Thanks Brett,
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 02:18:09 AM »
I have an old Topper M48 that is older than I, and it has been a meat getter for years, it has wear and tear on the outside but is still flawless in its operation, I have a 17HMR Sportster that I expect to give the same service. My intentions are to increase my stable of Handi's. I do not care for aesthetics of beautiful wood and super slick metal on my hunting guns, just form and function. I go to extra measures to maintain my guns but do not sweat it if it gets marks on them due to incidental action in the field.

These pieces allow me to hunt and spend more money on ammunition or other necessities that enhance the trips.

Thanks,

Van
Watch the Hands!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 02:47:19 AM »
Well bust my buttons! Since I neither own nor have handled any of those frames, wouldn't have known it. My 38-55 barrel, fitted on an NEF frame has ~Model 1871~ stamped above 38-55.

Thansk for clearing that up.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc