Author Topic: Lead Flashing  (Read 874 times)

Offline Joe Kool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lead Flashing
« on: March 05, 2003, 05:04:52 PM »
I have a roll of lead flashing. I think it was used on roofs in the late 1800's to the early 1900's. It's about a 1/16" thick. It's rolled up, and I guess it's about 120 lbs. It's very soft and malleable, it's seems like pure lead. I haven't cast any bullets from it yet.  Does anyone know if this flashing pure lead?  8)

Offline rob_helms

Lead Flashing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 08:07:11 PM »
I'm not sure that it's pure, but it's close enough for me to use to make my bullets for my muzzle loading rifles and pistols.
Rob Helms

Offline Rifled Slug

Lead Flashing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 12:02:00 AM »
:D The flashing is good . If you happen to have a hospital in you area that is being torn down or remodeled you may find big sheets that they line the walls of x-ray rooms with . Also they have lead canisters for transporting and storing radioactive materials .
Rifled Slug

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
Lead Flashing
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 12:42:21 AM »
I just read the article in the new Handloader about softnose cast bullets, by Ross Seyfried. I have a little pure lead, and I thought of the roll of flashing. I played with soft points about 10 years ago. I always thought that a smaller soft nose would work better then a larger one. A small softnose would expand quickly and then break off quickly, then the remaining hard base would be like a  45 caliber wadcutter. That is what Ross Seyfried said in the article. Pure lead with 1% tin added would be the best alloy. Any amount of antimony in the alloy will make the alloy more brittle, any the nose will shatter off quicker, if the impact is up around 1900 fps. Also if there is antimony and even a trace of arsenic, the nose will harden when water dropped. An alloy of pure lead and tin will not harden when water dropped or oven heat treated. I'll need to cast a few bullets from the flashing, and heat treat them, to see if they harden up.  8)

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Lead Flashing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 03:30:46 PM »
Joe,

I have a large roll of that lead flashing that I have been cutting up and using to cast my muzzleloading projectiles with.  

If your soft point project does not work out, see if you can swap it with some local muzzleloaders who will prize that material for their purposes.

Good luck.

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
Lead Flashing
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 03:50:32 PM »
i've only shot three whitetails in my life. two were with maxiballs made with flashing lead.neither took another step.
don't fry bacon naked!