Author Topic: Tasco, Bushnell and browning scopes all the same company!!!  (Read 1406 times)

Offline coyote trapper1929

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tasco, Bushnell and browning scopes all the same company!!!
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:05:25 AM »
I looked at the Tasco website last night and noticed that they have the Tasco, Bushnell and Browning Scope brands listed all on the same website. Seems that they are all made or are part of the same company. Who would have guessed??!!??  

So, here is the question. If Bushnell and Browning riflescopes are rated very good, why is the Tasco brand rated so poorly? They are all part of the same company. Is the Quality Control on the Tasco line not as good as on the Bushnell and Browning assembly lines?

Any opinions?

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Tasco, Bushnell and browning scopes all the
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:29:54 AM »
Cadillac and Saturn are all part of the same company (GM), but the quality (and prestige) obviously vary.  In the world of today's optics, most scopes are made outside the US by many different manufacturers.  What many optics companies do is design a scope and then send the specs off to many different manufacturers for bids.  The manufacturer with the lowest bid wins and builds the scope.  Two years later the optics company may put the same scope out for re-bid, and a different manufacturer may win and build the scope.  This is one of the reasons why quality may differ within the same scope line from year to year.

But remember that each scope line is built to a price point (just like Cadillac and Saturn).  You cannot have two scopes with the same quality if one costs 50% less.   The Browning and Bushness Elite series are the top of their line, with Tasco being at the bottom; there is a little overlap.  The former series is built to higher standards, and that costs more.  The Tasco series are built to "popular pricing" and are not of the same quality.  That doesn't mean they are not decent scopes for some uses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:02:39 AM »
As Lone Star stated, non-Euro scope mfrs for the most part are just marketers, they don't build their scopes, large Asian OEMs do that for them, to their specs. The Bushnell Elite line are built in Japan by Light Optical Works, the Legend and Trophy are built in the Philippines, probably by Asia Optical, dunno for sure on that one. Browning scopes are Elite scopes with different features and Bushnell Performance Optics owns Tasco since they bought em out of bankruptcy in 2002. I think the post BPO Tascos are much better than the tweeners made previous to 2002, but after the original Japan built Tascos fell by the wayside.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:28:13 AM »
A tip of the hat to both of you, Tim and Lone Star. Good Posts :agree:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:06:33 AM »
Thanks, Aaron!  :wink:  I should add a caveat here....as Lone Star pointed out, the sourcing of optics isn't static and changes continually. Even Leupold has some of their binos made by Asian OEMs and Burris has some of their lower product line made in Asia as well. And that isn't necessarily a negative, Asian factories have been getting better and better all the time in their attempt to stay competitive. A good example is the Mueller line of optics, excellent glass for the money, worth more than what they cost, in mine and many other's opinion.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 02:19:23 PM »
Bushnell bought Tasco optics - lock, stock and barrel - out of bankruptcy.  Nothing changed at Tasco in the buy out.  Bushnell is still using the same plant, materials and employees.  Personally Bushnell has went downhill since buying out Tasco.  Like Tasco they don't seem to want to back up their product.  I have two of the scopes that are prime examples to prove it.  Bushnell won't take them back and won't replace them as they say there is nothing wrong.  Today's Bushnell,  NO THANK YOU.  I got enough useless items sitting in drawers as is.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:40:54 PM »
Tasco was NEVER a manufacturer of scopes. They out sourced them just like Bushnell is doing now. All Bushnell bought was the rights to use the Tasco name. Scope are now made by the lowest bidder.

Most everyone I know of who's needed Bushnell Customer Service was handled professionally and quickly. I've heard one or two unverified stories of problems but that's about it.

You need to hire someone to deal with these manufacturers for you Lawdog, you don't seem to be able to get service from some of the folks who give the best in the industry.  :eek:  For a phenomenal fee I might could be persuaded.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:09:02 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Tasco was NEVER a manufacturer of scopes. They out sourced them just like Bushnell is doing now. All Bushnell bought was the rights to use the Tasco name. Scope are now made by the lowest bidder.

Most everyone I know of who's needed Bushnell Customer Service was handled professionally and quickly. I've heard one or two unverified stories of problems but that's about it.

You need to hire someone to deal with these manufacturers for you Lawdog, you don't seem to be able to get service from some of the folks who give the best in the industry.  :eek:  For a phenomenal fee I might could be persuaded.  :)

Sorry to disagree with you “ole’ fearless leader” but Tasco “DID” have a plant in Japan when they filed bankruptcy.  And according to the buyout announcement filed with the Bankruptcy Court, Bushnell got everything, including plant and all materials.  I’m going through my records to find the name/location of that Bankruptcy Court so I can get a copy of that buyout agreement.  It’s a matter of public record.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline ftstinyc

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
As Lone Star stated, non-Euro scope mfrs for the most part are just marketers, they don't build their scopes, large Asian OEMs do that for them, to their specs. The Bushnell Elite line are built in Japan by Light Optical Works, the Legend and Trophy are built in the Philippines, probably by Asia Optical, dunno for sure on that one. Browning scopes are Elite scopes with different features and Bushnell Performance Optics owns Tasco since they bought em out of bankruptcy in 2002. I think the post BPO Tascos are much better than the tweeners made previous to 2002, but after the original Japan built Tascos fell by the wayside.
My
Bushnell trophy 4x12 is marked on the bottom Japan. It's only about 6
months old.
tinyc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »
Quote from: ftstinyc
My
Bushnell trophy 4x12 is marked on the bottom Japan. It's only about 6
months old.

Doesn't surprise me, even if it is a current offering, things change.

Quote from: quickdtoo
I should add a caveat here....as Lone Star pointed out, the sourcing of optics isn't static and changes continually.

I asked Jon in January about the Trophy, Legend and 3200 scopes...

Tim,

Both scopes are made in the Phillipines.  The difference is fairly
noticeable. The Elite 3200 is the better of the scopes, being brighter
and clearer, along with having the rainguard feature.  The Legend is a
nice scope optically, but the housing and power rings look and feel
cheap. The Trophy is also a fairly nice scope in the price range, but
not the quality optically as the Legend and the Elite 3200.  Each one is
a step up from each other in quality.  The Elite 3200 being the highest
quality, than the Legend followed by the Trophy.  If you have any other
questions, just let us know.

Thanks,

Jon & Tammi Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
1-877-564-0286
info@theopticzone.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 1:26 AM
To: info@theopticzone.com
Subject: Bushnell Trophy and Legend?

Jon,

Can you tell me where the legend and trophy are built and the
differences between them and the Elite 3200?

Thanks,

Tim

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
Bushnell will handle any scopes that are deffective you just have to post a message on their website to get action.  Their customer service dept.  is a bit lacking from my experience. They said my scope was bent and sent it back minus the $10.  The thing had slight ring marks but no dents.  I had to go over the customer service dept heads. They have been well trained to say "NO". Post all messages to Dianne or Chris  at Bushnell.  He or she will take care of you.  I got a replacement in a week.  A lifetime should be a lifetime, so keep on them. :D

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 11:09:07 AM »
Quote from: theath29803
Bushnell will handle any scopes that are deffective you just have to post a message on their website to get action.  Their customer service dept.  is a bit lacking from my experience. They said my scope was bent and sent it back minus the $10.  The thing had slight ring marks but no dents.  I had to go over the customer service dept heads. They have been well trained to say "NO". Post all messages to Dianne or Chris  at Bushnell.  He or she will take care of you.  I got a replacement in a week.  A lifetime should be a lifetime, so keep on them. :D

Not if in their opinion the problem is normal and will “wear in” with usage.  They then consider that nothing is wrong and refuse to replace or refund.  I have e-mailed, wrote letters and called a number of times and this was their response.  And the response they have given others that have the same problem.  Lawdog

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 02:04:50 PM »
Bushnell's customer service is a lot like K-marts.  They both stink.  I've heard the same thing about Burris too.  I hope it works out.  Sorry for your troubles.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 10:55:53 AM »
Quote from: theath29803
Bushnell's customer service is a lot like K-marts.  They both stink.  I've heard the same thing about Burris too.  I hope it works out.  Sorry for your troubles.

Actually out of all the Burris scopes I have I have had only one problem.  Burris couldn't send me a replacement fast enough.  No questions asked and they paid shipping both ways.  Burris's warrantee is every bit as good as Leupold's.  Only one other optic company has ever treated me the way Bushnell did and that was Tasco back before they filed bankruptcy.   :evil:   Lawdog