Author Topic: Questions on first shotgun (help)  (Read 385 times)

Offline unclecheech

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions on first shotgun (help)
« on: November 29, 2005, 12:49:57 PM »
Hello all, new to site with no experience hunting. I want to learn, even went on Thanksgiving morning. I had been looking for a multi use shotgun and had been eyeing the Topper (10 ga. as had removable chokes). I found the only one in W. Michigan, is used, but is the 12ga. model with the precursor to the falling block action (I don't know what it it is called, but the pin is spring loaded). It has an Adco Mirage scope with a Weaver rail. My problems are as follows:
1. The gun will be used for deer and turkey in the fall, and wood chucks the rest of the year. What loads have folks found to be more successful through this gun? (I know each gun is different, I'm looking for a jump off point).
2. The base, then the rail plus the scope puts the holographic dot about 6-8 inches high at 25 yards. I can't adjust the elevation any further lower. Plus the scope has no magnification. Any ideas on a fair priced scope that performs well out to 100 yards?
3. Approx what year (or where in the sn) was the gun crafted? And has anyone ever gotten a muzzleloading barrel for it? Approx. cost, mods. necassary, etc.

I know this is alot, and I have been scouting out numerous forums to find one I like, and you guys won. Thank you in advance.
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 03:57:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of knowledge here and good company as well.

If I was going to have just one gun it would be a topper deluxe classic. The ability to change choke tubes makes it very veritle. Get an extra full choke it's a turkey gun, switch to a improved cylinder choke and it's a slug gun. For turkey and deer I'd add one of the aftermarket sights that clamp onto the rib. Williams makes a good one.

I am unclear as to what model you have purchased though. Maybe if you could post a pic. If nothing else take a look at www.hr1871.com and tell us whick model it looks the most like. Does it have a rifled or smooth bore.?

I'm no expert on optics and my have had such good luck with my cheap simmons 4x32 that I'm not much help in this department. I have no experience with holosights so no help there either.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:02:12 PM »
Unclecheech;

Welcome to the forum.  Not sure what you meant by "precursor to falling block action" unless you mean your gun does not have the transfer bar safety in wich case it is quite old.  The second character of your serial number denotes the year of manufacture.  

Look at the 2nd letter of the serial number.
(I'm pretty sure 1995 is J, 1994 H, etc)

K=1996
L=1997
M=1998
N=1999
P=2000
R=2001
S=2002
T=2003
You're looking for N or later if you want to be able to order the barrels marked with an asterisk on the accessory barrel page.

Sorry I can't help you with any ammo suggestions for your gun but I'm sure someone will pipe in soon. In the mean time check out the "stickys" and "FAQ's" at the top of each forum for lots of good info and tips.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline unclecheech

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:45:16 PM »
sorry, it is a smoth bore 12 ga. with no selectable choke. It has the fixed choke (full), with lighter forearm and stock (wood) with a nickle finish. It is not the Topper deluxe (i wish).
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 04:58:35 PM »
That gun, while it may not be the best slug gun, will do the job. Buy a box of the good old cheap slugs and see how far you can accurately shoot them. Pattern it for turkey as well. Know the limitations and maximum effective range of your gun and yourself. In the old days when poor people hunted for food this was the type of gun most used. I will warn you though that though this may be your first gun it won't be your only gun for long. You'll start reading the posts here and before long you'll have to get a tracker or ultra for deer and a 10ga turkey gun, then a topper deluxe classic  ect... this is a natural progression and you can not fight nature.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun