Author Topic: Anyone painted or coated their NEF rifles?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Anyone painted or coated their NEF rifles?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 07:23:09 AM »
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my daughter's sportster and her 20 ga. with the new Tamer stocks .WARNING  Sun Glasses Required

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005, 07:36:07 AM »
There goes my visual purple!!! :shock:  Nice work, Stimpy!!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2005, 12:33:12 PM »
Anyone here try any of the Birchwood Casey gun blueing products with any success ?

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005, 12:48:17 PM »
I've used the Perma Blue, works good, but not as good as a hot blue. My ebay .30-30 barrel was done with it, I like it a lot, although you can't tell much by this pic!! :oops:

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005, 03:55:08 PM »
On the site Quick posted, mikericklefs, I like the scheme he did on the Browning.  It even looks like wood.  I need something like that on my savage that has no grain whatsoever.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2005, 05:34:37 PM »
Stimpy,

How does that Krylon Fusion paint hold up, and does it really fuse itself into the plastic? Wish they had some flat colors, the only thing I have seen so far is shiny.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 08:00:45 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
I've used the Perma Blue, works good, but not as good as a hot blue. My ebay .30-30 barrel was done with it, I like it a lot, although you can't tell much by this pic!! :oops:

Quick;
Looks good from what I can tell in the picture.  How did you prep your 30-30 barrel?  Did you Birchwood Casey's cleaner or just use alcohol or acetone?  Did you polish the barrel with steel wool or anything before using the Perma Blue?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2005, 10:36:40 PM »
Here's my reply to Mainer on his rust question...I use laquer thinner to degrease.

If it's as bad as it looks in the pic, the only choice is to refinish the metal, I use automotive crochus cloth that comes in rolls to do the back and forthsies on the barrel with the strips wrapped half around it, makes the work go fast and once it's blued, you can't tell the difference. I completely stripped my .30-30 barrel, then used BC Perma Blue. Of course it's not as nice as a professional hot blue, but didn't cost near as much either, but it still looks great. I've tried doing several barrels just by repairing the bad areas and touch up with cold blue, never was really satisfied with the mismatched blueing.

I trick I learned when browning barrels is to heat the barrel with hot water after you've degreased it, then blue the hot metal with Perma Blue, rinse with water, then card it with #0000 steelwool, then repeat. It usually takes about 4-6 times to get the deepest blue possible with a cold blue.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 02:55:37 AM »
I wanted to dull everything, and also give it some protection from the september rain.  I went to the store and got the stuff they camo bows with.  Sprayed entire gun and stock.  Started with brown and then splotched it up with greens and black.  Dries quick, but is soft and will scratch easily.  To remove just wipe with remover or mineral spirits, paint comes right off.  This might not be what you people want but it was what I wanted.  Camoed the gun real good.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.