Author Topic: 20 ga Ultra Slug Hunter gets its first deer  (Read 762 times)

Offline Lost Okie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
20 ga Ultra Slug Hunter gets its first deer
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
Woo Hoo!  Deer season opened today in Indiana.  Shooting started at 6:57, and me and the USH had an 8 point on the ground at 7:30.  Shooting Rem Cor Lok and the range was about 50 yrds.  Deer was facing me at an angle, hit him just at the shoulder and exited about half way back on the other side.  He ran about 40 yrds and piled up.

Deer is about 150 lbs, rack is not big, but unusual.  3 points on one side, other side has 5.  5 side has 2 long brow tines and 1 U shaped tine along the main beam toward the top.  Plan on boiling out the skull, bleach and mount on some wild cherry that I have.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
Great Lost Okie, sounds like your season started out with a "BANG"!!!  How about some pictures when you can....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »
First shot at posting pic
If the Airdale will leave me alone I will get this posted.
Like I said, small rack, but the right side (in pic) shows the two brow tines and if you look toward the top you can see the hooked point.  You can't see the point directly on top.  Hey, not bad for the first day with a new gun...

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:01:20 AM »
Nice, looks like your going to do a european mount or something?  

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:34:54 AM »
Way to go, nice deer there. I just picked up a 20 ga. Ultra Slug. I wanted to get a gun for my stand hunting. My Remington 1100 is nice, but I want a gun that can get beat up and shoot well. Again Congrats.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:33:21 PM »
Congratulations Lost Okie! He must not like getting his picture taken, he's rolling his eyes. :roll:  :)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:28:23 PM »
Great lost OKIE I think I got his brother here in Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago during black powder season with a huntsman. Take your hook tine off & it is a duplicate maybe an inch or 2 shorter rack but same side with a double brow tine. Since it was the 1st deer I got while hunting with my 8 year old son. I too made a european mount worked good except for the fact that 5 mins before I was going to get it out of the pot my lab decided to do it for me & remove the nose bone but I bleached it anyway & it turned out good for me. It is my most memorable trophy, not the biggest but the best for me for sure. great job :wink:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 01:27:45 PM »
One Hole, I know what you mean.  My son took his first deer in Louisiana several, well lets just say long time back.  He sure was happy...Now I am working with my granddaughter teaching her gun safety and how to shoot.

Where ya at in Oklahoma, I grew up in the Midwest City area and Wife is from Moore.  We get back every year so I can do a little work on her house and try to fish a little at Draper or Thunderbird.  I finally found a place to shoot last year, a range out toward Yukon.  Too hot in July to do much, plan on making it a early May in 06.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 01:51:38 AM »
sorrry for the delay been out of town
I live near peidmont, grew up in Canada but call Oklahoma my home now.
I guess you mean the Canadian valley range, been there a time or 2. If ya plan on comming in may drop me a note maybe we could go out & shoot (some bull also :lol: )

No deer from new your only saw does & had a buck tag, my son was itching to take a shot, had 2 come out within 10 yrds of us.

Lots of road kill between here & upstate New your though such a waste
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!