Author Topic: Modifying My Jeep - Suggestions?  (Read 719 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Modifying My Jeep - Suggestions?
« on: December 02, 2005, 06:50:27 AM »
Well, I've been driving my new (new to me) jeep around for a week so far.  It's a 1995 Wrangler with the little 4 cylinder.  A few observations so far:

1) It gets 20.7 mph!
2) It doesn't seem geared right for driving up hills at 55 mph.
3) I wish it had a little more ground clearance and bigger tires.
4) It's a GREAT little ride!  Not too bouncy, not too noisy, and very fun to drive around.
5) The turning radius is awesome.

So, I'm thinking about a gearing change, and "possibly" a 2 inch lift kit.

Anyone have any knowledge of these modifications or words of wisdom for me?  My budget is very tight.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:21:55 AM »
Its a 4 cylinder bambams it is going to be doggy going up hills save your money and leave it as is and just down shift a gear which you can do even with a automatic. Before you add a lift kit make sure it is legal in your state some states frown on it. I know they do in WI they call it altered suspension.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »
Well, if it's one thing I'm proud of concerning my little county - it's that we don't have a lot of vehicle regulation here.  We don't have emission's inspections, and no laws restricting lift kits very much in the state either.  So as far as that goes, I've got a green light.

Even my ole's Chevy V8 had to downshift going up the mountain pass, and I hated it then also.  I can pretty much make it home from work in 4th gear, but I'd rather use 5th gear and still have some RPMs going.

We shall see!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »
do not hard chrome it. I do not like wihite jeeps.
Merry Christmas.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »
Like jp45gun said "Its a 4 cylinder bambams it is going to be doggy going up hills save your money and leave it as is".  It will even be doggier if you put bigger tires on it.  Don't like to bad mouth anyones ride but, it's a four banger, gutless, but gives good fuel economy, leave well enough alone.  Enough said.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 12:32:57 PM »
Are these wanted mods for applications that will be used (offroad/wheeling) or just for looks (posing)?  If it is indeed for useable modificatiosn what does it have for axles and gearing?   It will alter the ride if you change the tires or lift it.  Also slightly effect your milage.  If you are actually going to use it off-road and more so than just a hard packed dirt road with nothing more than a few little branches and rocks. That 4 cyl will be stuggling at times especially without proper gearing.  

Anywhoo.  all depends on what your intended uses for it will be.

Oh yeah, Jeep wave -  :D  ('98 TJ here)
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 07:09:26 PM »
If I remember correctly with a 4cyl. it should have a 4.10 rearend.

I suggest finding a local Jeep club and getting some real world input from them. Should be easy to find in Colorado.

One mod leads to another to keep the vehicle in balance in terms of performance. Remember the Jeep is fairly simple unit. Keep it simple and it will reward you with miles of smiles.

Good luck and have fun.

Nixter

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:47:14 PM »
A economic alternative to a lift kit is a spring over conversion, where the axles ride under the springs instead of on top.  This will get you 4’ of lift or so.  

Just remember to correct you drive shaft angles and check your brake hose length, also the jeep will not “handle” as before.  You will also probably want/need new spring shackle bushings.  

If you opt for larger wheels/tires keep in mind that this will further lower your effective gear ratio.  If you intend to seriously off road, the first thing to consider is a decent cage, the CJ’s short wheel base, narrow track, and relative high center of gravity can exacerbate some situations to a critical point  

Have fun, be safe, and congratulations on the your find.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 02:11:29 PM »
I'ld be bummed too if it only did 20.7 MPH.  Sorry couldn't resist.

As far as mods...  First get an add-a-leaf suspension kit (should give you between 2" and 3" of lift), the best gas shocks you can afford and a set of tires no larger than 32".  Then get a kit to move the front spring shackles to the rear of the front springs where they belong.   If you don't have emissions test ditch the cat and open up the exhaust with a set of after market headers and a low restriction muffler.  And if you are really serious about performance, do a small block Chevy v8  heart transplant. You'll be over those hills before you can say "down shift" in a vehicle that light.    :D

p.s.: When are you going to post some pics of your new baby?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 04:45:08 PM »
If one were to go so radical as a motor transplant, my choice would be a 4BT from Cummins. Just my choice you see. A new motor, I'm guessing, is way beyond BamBams wants and needs. This is from reading in between the lines of his previous posts.

My guess (and I stress guess) is he is looking for a bit more oomph for hills and a smidge more off-road-ability.

These are my guesses. We should let BamBams respond with exactly what he wants from his new back-country steed.

Nixter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 09:52:53 PM »
Nixter-
You speak well.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline crosscut

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 02:59:43 AM »
Brett is giving you good advice. Use the add-a-leaf, it's cheaper than a full suspension replacement. I wouldn't go over 2", max though. You didn't say what size tires you have. I'd recommend 31 or 32-inchers, but not really wide ones. Skinnier tires eat less horsepower and do better in rocky locations and in snow. Wide tires are best in mud.

I like Bretts suggestions on simple mods to the exhaust to boost horsepower.

Look at the bright side on that four-banger, it'll get you there and back, and doesn't have enough torque to break axles and driveshafts!

Get a copy of JP magazine. It's strictly about Jeeps and there are lots of parts sources in there.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 05:14:16 AM »
Have you considered a mild turbo? Don't know if the make one for the four banger. Shouldn't mess up your mpg but give you a little more kick if you need it.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS