Author Topic: 44 mag ammo  (Read 780 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
44 mag ammo
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »
I keep a S&W 44 mag handy for home defense. It is loaded with full power hand loads. I have been told this is not the best choice for more than one reason. Over penetration for one and the legal ramifications of using hand loads in a shooting and impending court case. How valid are these concerns of mine and what would be a better ammo option? I like this gun since it is a reliable sa/da revolver I am very experienced with. I have other smaller calibers like a 380, 32 acp 22 lr. I also have a 1911/45acp but am concerned about long term storage compressing mag springs, firing pin spring. The 44 revolver give me the most confidence.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
44 mag ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:25:37 PM »
I too like the 44 mag as a self-defense round but I'm reluctant as the dickens to set one off inside the house, especially at night.  A guy would be lucky to keep his hearing and eyesight with a full-house load.  Find a good 44 special self-defense round and use that instead.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Dusty Miller

44 mag ammo
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
I too like the 44 mag as a self-defense round but I'm reluctant as the dickens to set one off inside the house, especially at night.  A guy would be lucky to keep his hearing and eyesight with a full-house load.  Find a good 44 special self-defense round and use that instead.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
44 mag ammo
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
Cheeshead - to answer your concerns, yes the 44 magnum will overpenetrate like you wouldn't believe and the resultant liability to innocents.  It is not the best choice for a bedside gun - the muzzle blast will blind and deafen you for a second shot if fired in a darkened room and you may not even be able to bring the piece to bear if you miss the first.  If you like your S&W 44 mag as much as I like mine I would never subject it to police confiscation in a self defense shooting.  

Your 45 is a better choice and you need not be all that concerned about long term magazine spring reliabilty if you keep your mags loaded for long periods of time - these things have a tendency to last quite a while but it is always a good idea to rotate your magazines and use up the ammo regularly so you can shoot more :grin: .  

But let's not forget that other calibers work too.  I am very fond of my 380 and don't have any problems packing it along now and then.  About the best bedside gun I own is also the least most expensive pistol I've ever owned - it's a 7.62x25mm Tokarev that I paid less that $100 for in 1991.  It is a powerful, totally reliable, accurate and fits my hand well in a quick grab scenario.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
44 mag ammo
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »
I think the argument that handloads increase legal liability is BS, provided that you're not loading something unusual that would truly make you look like a psychotic--e.g., poison dipped bullets, exploding rounds, etc.

That said, I think a .44 Mag. double action revolver is as good as it gets for home defense.  First of all, as you know, double action revolvers are reliable.  I've had reliability issues with even quality autos, including weak magazine springs, ammo sensitivity, and mechanical breakdowns.

Second, with a .44 Mag. you can fire big, heavy bullets that both penetrate and made a wide wound channel.

However, I would not use full power .44 Mag. ammo.  You can either handload hot .44 Spec. loads or light .44 Mag loads.

Plus, there are interesting loads on the market.  If you like lighter bullets, Corbon has 165 gn JHPs in both .44 Spec. and .44 Mag.  Winchester makes a 200 gn 900 fps Silvertip in .44 Spec.  Speer makes a 200 gn Gold Dot at about 875 fps.  Hornady makes a 180 JHP at 1,000 fps.

Speer also makes a 200 gn Gold Dot .44 Mag round at 1075 fps from a 4" barrel.  That would seem absolutely perfect for home defense.

I say stick with the .44 Mag, just change the loads you use.
NRA Life Member

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
44 mag ammo
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 02:45:33 AM »
Mainer - I wasn't speaking of liability for shooting a burgler with handloads in that 44 magnum, it is the liability incurred when a round like the 44 mag overpenetrates the target, passes on through walls and into someone elses home, injuring an innocent person.  I once watched a Peoria PO shoot a bank robber with a 41 magnum, hitting the robber but also wounding an elderly gent walking halfway down the block.  

However, your suggestion for using lighter loads or even 44 spls in that magnum revolver is most appropo and very sensible.  Even so, I still wouldn't want one of my prized revolvers suject to police confiscation - around here the officer who takes the gun into possession after a shooting is required to permanently mark the gun with his initials for evidence purposes and I sure as all hay wouldn't want another cop to permanently mar another one of my handguns with his initials - it is permanenet and not something even a gunsmith can get out.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
44 mag ammo
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
Mikey:  I hope I didn't cause offense.  The BS comment wasn't directed toward you. :D   I AGREE that a round that has a tendency to severely overpenetrate creates a liability issue if there are innocent 3rd parties in the area.  (Would the hypothetical "prudent person" use a round he knew or should have known would overpenetrate an attacker when he knew or should have known that innocent people would be in the vicinity and that other, effective, less penetrative ammo was available?)

My BS comment was directed to the argument I sometimes hear that a handloaded round in-and-of itself increases your liability over factory loaded ammo.

Finally, I can't claim to be an expert in the aftermath of a self-defense shooting, but I'd be prepared to write off the firearm used.  If the shooting was justified, you'll probably get the gun back, but probably after weeks or months of delay.  Plus, it would probably be scratched up from being tossed on a shelf in an evidence room along with all manner of other odds and ends.
NRA Life Member

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
44 sp
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 02:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the insights guys. I have never had a misfeed with my revolver. If you have never had a misfeed with an auto it means you have not shot it enough. Dont get me wrong, I love my springfield 1911. I have shot 1911 enough in bullseye competition to know  there is an occasional misfeed.  I believe 44 specials for my 29 is the answer.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline cvixx

specialized ammo
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 05:01:01 AM »
I would definitely look into some of the frangible ammo, such as Glaser, in 44 Special.  Would prevent overpenetration and stop the intruder cold.  I would wager there are more wheelguns sitting in nightstand drawers than automatics.  Just more reliable.

Offline rockbilly

44 mag ammo
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
:roll: Most homes only have drywall seperating the rooms, if this is the case, I can poke my fist through both walls.  Most interior walls walls will not stop a bullet from any caliber gun.  That said, my major concern would be, shooting through the bad guy, through the wall, and hitting another family member in the ajoining room.  

A while back I read about a bullet that would come apart after penetration, yet had the weight and power to stop a man.  I don't remember the name, but if they are out there, and they do work,  then something like that would be ideal for in the home, especially if there are children sleeping in the next room.

It would be my luck that I grabed the .44 mag, shoot through the bad guy, the bullet then rips through the HVAC room, taking out the hot water heater and air conditioner, and it is one of those 110 degree nights. Now I have a flooded house, no air, and some puke bleeding all over the place................Honey, get the insurance agent on the phone NOW, then call my lawyer and the police......... :wink:

Offline rockbilly

44 mag ammo
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »
:roll: Most homes only have drywall seperating the rooms, if this is the case, I can poke my fist through both walls.  Most interior walls walls will not stop a bullet from any caliber gun.  That said, my major concern would be, shooting through the bad guy, through the wall, and hitting another family member in the ajoining room.  

A while back I read about a bullet that would come apart after penetration, yet had the weight and power to stop a man.  I don't remember the name, but if they are out there, and they do work,  then something like that would be ideal for in the home, especially if there are children sleeping in the next room.

It would be my luck that I grabed the .44 mag, shoot through the bad guy, the bullet then rips through the HVAC room, taking out the hot water heater and air conditioner, and it is one of those 110 degree nights. Now I have a flooded house, no air, and some puke bleeding all over the place................Honey, get the insurance agent on the phone NOW, then call my lawyer and the police......... :wink:

Offline Old Griz

44 mag ammo
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
:cb2: I've got my Anaconda loaded with .44 Specials, but they're Cor-Bon loads, and these are some hot mama .44 Specials! I guess I should get some of those Glasser safety rounds, but I'll wait until coat weather is gone for good. (I know it's March, but we've had our three heaviest recorded snows here in March.)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Savage

44 mag ammo
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:52:30 AM »
IMO, the 44 Mag is not the best HD gun available. If that's all you have, then do what you have to do while trying to be as aware of your backstop as possible. (If it is possible in a HD situtation) I am no fan of frangible ammo. I would use as light a bullet as possible, in HP of course. Any serious centerfire handgun round will penetrate several walls. If you have the option of using a shotgun or an AR, they would be a much better choice. The AR would be my first choice, but either one will work.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
44 mag ammo
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 03:22:54 PM »
I've got a box of .44 Spec. 200 gr GoldDot hollow points in front of me.  The hollow point cavity is absolutely massive.  I can't image these rounds would overpenetrate any more than run-of-the-mill .40 S&W or .45 ACP rounds.  I think they would be perfect for home defense, especially coming out of a 4"-6" barrel.
NRA Life Member