Author Topic: How did all the Ultra Slug Hunters do this deer season?  (Read 664 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How did all the Ultra Slug Hunters do this deer season?
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:10:24 AM »
Just wrapped up the 2005 firearms deer season here in Michigan.

I was fortunate enough to christen my new 12 ga USH Deluxe on a 7 pointer on opening day in Michigan's Thumb. Had to wait until 3 pm but the USH loaded with Federal Barnes Expanders handled flawlessly.

I was hoping my son was going to be as lucky with his new 20 ga USH this past weekend in his first whitetail hunt. A couple inches of fresh snow made for a perfect setting but we couldn't get anything of any size to cooperate. I was proud of his patience though and willingness to wait it out for a bigger one. Most importantly we shared some quality time out in the blind and back at the cabin.

Anyways, would like to hear anyones USH experiences this year.
Don't leave out any of the particulars: 12 ga or 20 ga., what were you shooting out of it and where were you hunting.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline jeff223

How did all the Ultra Slug Hunters do this
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:06:27 AM »
my step daughter shot a 4 point with my 20ga ultraslug in the early youth hunt and my son shot a doe with it a couple of days ago.i havnt taken a long gun out on a hunt yet this year.you see i have been shooting deer with my 445 super mag HAND CANNON this year.with the up and comming muzzleloader season the HAND CANNON will be set aside and the Knight Rifle will come along with me for a few hunts

the 20ga ultraslug has worked out very good just like it always has in the past.good thing i have kids shooting it still :mrgreen:

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 08:14:20 AM »
I used my Remington 1100 12 gauge up until Saturday night, then I switched to my Ultra Slug 20 gauge . I have not scored with the Ultra slug gun yet. I did how ever pass and several small bucks, a 6 pointer tonight a fork horn Sunday night and a few button bucks. I got a 10 point with my 1100, so I need either something bigger or a doe to step out.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »
Jeff223

Glad to hear both the kids scored on with the 20 ga. USH.   Doesn't get much better than that.

Just curious what kind of range the deer were shot at and what are you shooting out of it?  I'm still a creature of habit and bought the 12 ga for myself but I'm really anxious to see the 20 ga in action and become a true believer in its effectiveness.

Had all intentions of taking my kid on that September youth hunt....sighted in at the range,  blind was all ready to go....,and then he wound up with pneumonia that weekend.  That's why we had to wait until this weekend for his first deer hunt.

Going to try to get him out for the late doe season in Sanilac County.  Only trouble is my blind is in Huron County about a 100 yds north of the Huron/Sanilac County line border.  Go figure!

Anyways good luck to you during the muzzleloading season.  I was hoping to get into ML this year but all that $$$ went into the kid's USH and scope.  Oh well, he enjoys it and that's what counts.  Maybe next year.
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline JohnDY

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
Using my 12 Gauge Ultra I took a large doe and a button buck during opening day of firearm season on Maryland's eastern shore.  I got the doe about 8:00 in the morning. She was the largest of a group of three that came busting in on me. I took the button about 4:00 in the afternoon.  Both were about 40 yard shots and from the same tree stand.  I was using Winchester 2 3/4 sabots. I wasn't really happy with the way they performed. The doe went about 200 yards after being hit. I will be switching slugs next year.

I also got a nice seven pointer during early muzzleloader season with my Huntsman. So now I am going to try and get one with my 30/30 Handi and go for an H&R trifecta.
JohnDY

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
MI sabot

the doe was shot at about 15yds and the 4pt buck was shot at around 40yds.when i got this gun i shot all the slugs i could get ahold of at that time.the 1900fps Winchesters shoot very good and so do the Federal Barnes Expanders.i bought 10boxes of the Federal slugs then and we are down to 2 full boxes and i think there are two lelt in the third box.i think i will let my son buy the next slugs once they are gone.

when i was hunting with the 20ga ultraslug i shot one buck just shy of 150yds out but most kills were under 75yds.the Federal slugs are very good performers on game too.i would really like to shoot a deer with the 1900fps Winchesters sometime.maybe those will be next.

good luck to you with the muzzleloader too.

and good luck to all the rest of you too :mrgreen:

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Jeff223:

Are those the 1900 fps Federal Exp's or the slower ones?
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline JoeLansing

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »
My 15 year old step daughter took a 175# doe opening morning at about 40 yards.  Skunked me and her dad that day.  Her first time in a stand.  It was an ugly hit, middle of the deer, but she hit the liver so it bled badly.  It ran 60? yards and expired.  20ga shooting 2 3/4" Lightfields.  The slug was barely under the skin on the far side, very big and flat.  I put the slug on a chain for her to have as a pendant.  Boy was she mad when I told her she can't wear it cuz it's lead..:)  Maybe I'll spray it with some hard clear coat, dip it in plasticast, or something so it's wearable.  The Ultra Slug Hunter is nice, even in 20ga for close Michigan deer.  Plain Lightfields are nothing fancy, but they sure work great and are very accurate in most weapons.  -  Joe

Offline jeff223

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 12:43:21 PM »
the Federal Expanders i have been using are the slower ones.ive had them for a number of years and they only had one Expander back then.i have recovered a few of them from deer i have shot.they always open up and do lots of damage.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 11:58:37 AM »
I shot a 150 lb 7 point on opening day. Should have been a 10 point but the rack was broken on one side.

I sat all day in the wind and rain and finally shot this one just as it was getting dark.

Don't feel too bad for me though, I was in a really nice blind and didn't get wet until I tried to find the deer.

I was using a 12 gauge Ultra Deluxe with a 1.75-4x32 bushnell trophy scope. I was using brenneke gold magnums (600 grns). I shot the deer from about 20 yards away and it ran about 100 yards before it dropped.

The only bad part is right after I shot it a huge thunderstorm moved in and it rained like crazy with a ton of lightning. Me and two other guys looked for a few hours in the downpour but didn't find the deer. I went back the next day and it was laying not far from where I saw it jump the fence. I bet we almost tripped over it the night before. It was raining so hard we could barely see though. I found the deer but the meat ended up not being any good because it was really warm out that night and it sat too long with out being gutted :cry: .

I took out the top half of the heart and the lungs with a pass thru. The entry hole was the same size as the exit hole. I think for now on I will go for a high shoulder hit with this gun, and I will be looking for some better performing ammo next year. I basically ran out of money looking for something I liked and these grouped well at 100 yards and I already had a few boxes of them.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf