Author Topic: lapping scope rings  (Read 635 times)

Offline Michael H

• Trade Count: (0)
lapping scope rings
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:18:40 PM »
I have replaced my Simmons with a Nikon Monarch. I am using Leopould rings. When I took the Simmons off of the rifle I noticed some small marks from the rings.
I want to lap the rings in place so that the ring marks don't reappear on my new Nikon.
Question: Can I take a piece of 1" cold rolled steel or aluminum round stock and some valve lapping compound to true up the rings?
Is this is the method to take care of the marks?
Is 1" the correct size for a 1" scope tube. Also do I leave the top half of the rings on during the lapping? I don't think it would take very much lapping and I sure don't want to go too far
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow

Offline jrhen

lapping scope rings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:14:39 PM »
Hi Michael,

I didn't use valve lapping compound so I don't know if it would work. One inch is the correct dia of round stock to use for a one inch set of rings.  I used a 1" piece of bar stock and wrapped a piece (single layer) of wet\dry 800 grit sandpaper around it working up to 1600 grit.  I just lapped the bottom half of the rings, figuring that they were to ones in line with the bore. ?  It did take off a very small amount of metal and the scope fit in really well.  

Now I don't know if I over did the lapping or didn't do it correctly??? Maybe I used too heavy a scope on a light rifle with heavy recoil or just plain polished the mounts to well.  After three rounds that scope had slid back as far as it could.  I thought the screws might have shot loose so I adjusted the scope tighten the screws and fired again, same results...  I tried many things to correct this as I has finally spent some money for rings.  In the end I cut thin strips of the 800 grit sandpaper and cemented then into the rings.  Scope never moved again but I defeated the lapping process and have never done it again.

Wheeler Engineering makes a kit that does what you are describing, all the reviews rave about what it does.  Like I said maybe I did it wrong, but all I do use now is a EJS alignment tool and a box wrench to turn my rings into the bases.

Best wishes to you and please share your experiance.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
lapping scope rings
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
Here's a thread at RFC on ring lapping.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112929

Personally, I just use Burris Signature rings, no need to lap and they give you the option to literally bore sight the optically centered scope without touching the turret adjustments. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
lapping scope rings
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
I agree on the use of Signature rings. I use them almost exclusively these days. BUT if you're gonna lap do it right. You need a precision 1" diameter steel rod with some provision for handles. Just buy one from anyone of several folks who sell them. I think I got mine from Sinclair. Brownells also sells them and both places sells the correct lapping compound to use with them.

Yes you can over do it and ruin the rings. But if you insist on using the Leupold rings they do need to be lapped.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline biglmbass

lapping scope rings
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 04:59:28 AM »
I'm w/ GB on the signature rings, but still use conventional rings from time to time. (Talley one-piece ring/bases are nice)

Regarding the lapping rod, FWIW Sinclair had their old style rod (8" lg) on sale last week for $10.50 IIRC.  I treated myself to one.  Nice, quality product.

Offline Flyrod444

lapping scope rings
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 08:42:58 AM »
I too like the signature rings on a strong base,but I have lapped a few sets of rings that came on my ruger 77 rifles. It is real easy with the right tools. I had a friend make what I needed in the machine shop were he works. Wrapping sandpaper around a 1" rod is not the way to do it. The thickness of the sand paper will make the rod more like 1 1/64", and cause a sloppy fit.
  After lapping the lower half of my rings and cleaning them real good, I used this stuff made to put on electical connections between the rings and scope which acts like a glue. The scope will not move, period! I think the stuff is called Scotch Coat or something like that. You can find it at any good hardware store.

Flyrod444
It is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!!

Offline KN

lapping scope rings
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 12:52:45 PM »
I've lapped a bunch of rings using valve grinding compound. Works great.  jrhen, Yes you did get them too smooth. You want a surface that will grip the scope. Too smooth and it will slip for sure. A good piece of 1" STEEL barstock will work fine, but measure it first and make sure it is indeed 1". Lastly I don't try and lap the top rings. They will "center" themselves over the scope when you install them. Hope this helps.  KN

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
to what end?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 01:26:44 PM »
I reckon it may seem incongruous with some set ups but if your purpose is to 1) prevent movement of the scope while 2) not getting "marks" on your scope from ring tension, what's wrong with a circumferential little piece of masking tape?  It accomplishes all of the above with a lot less hassel and the residue of the tape cleans off the scope easily with a little acetone.  It works well for me, even on the big ole Redfield Widefield mounted on my Weatherby Mk V .270 Weatherby Mag.  Cut to the proper width, it doesn't show either.
 :wink:
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline JoeBru

lapping scope rings
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
Would not even consider fitting a scope without lapping the rings.  

For leupold type rings, the first step is to make sure that the ring is at 90 degrees to the bore; use a 1 inch tube ~3 foot long lock it into the front ring and rotate the ring until true with the end of the barrel and bore.  

Then align the back ring using pointed 1 inch bar stock, 1 piece for each ring, adjust the back ring as best as is possible so that ideally the 2 points align  perfectly, never happened yet!  

Lap the rings, I use bar stock and valve grinding media, have never used the reamer type lapping tool, it may be better; the front ring will be better  lined up than the rear, concentrate on keeping everything true.  
Clean the rings well,  then bed the scope into the rings with Devcon, make sure not to forget the release agent on the scope..  

It is a bit of effort to do correctly, but the results are worth while.

Scope is properly aligned, held securely with a minimum of screw tightening and there no ring marks.
Only draw back is that not all 1 inch scope tubes are the same diameter!