Author Topic: Sighted in the BC again  (Read 364 times)

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sighted in the BC again
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »
After 2 1/2 months of OT, and having several bouts of the ICK, I snuck away to the hills and shot some of my new guns.

The weather was great.  The wind was blowing at 20+ mph.  Visability was less than 1/4mi.  Conditions went from drizzle to fog to rain back to fog every 10-15 minutes.  If you don't like the weather here in Oregon, give it five minutes, it'll change.

I run a state-of-the-art hi-tech operation.  The rifle rest is a rolled up towel rested on the roof of my car.  I forgot my sling.

The BC isn't new.  It had a Nikon 4x40 on it.  I robbed the scope to put on my Tupperware Special.  I replaced the scope with the Williams FP.  The results were disappointing.  My eyesight isn't real great.  Struggled through 15 rounds (405jsp 47.5 gr AA2015) at 75 yards.  Adjusted the sight down and switched to my experimental Godzilla load(Speer 350gr. 52gr AA2015).  One dial in shot and ran 5 for 5 pop-cans.  There is some hope there.

OK the next gun isn't a Handi.  
Howaby 300 Weatherby Magnumb.  Scope is a Mueller 3.5x10x44.
two dial in shots.  
Load #1, 79gr H4831SC Hornady 180gr Interlock, 100 yards.  First five shot group, just missed being able to cover it up with a quarter.

Load#2 77.5gr H4831SC Barnes 180gr TSX.  No foulers.  Two separate three shot groups, both 1" ragged holes.  Thought I missed the paper plate altogether.  This warrants more research.

Last but not least.
NEF Sportster 17HMR with Tasco 3-9x40.  This was the scope that came on the Tupperware Special in 1997.
This gun is a BLAST!!!.  Lots of fun.  My first shot took out the thumbtack holding the paper plate to the log.  Brought out my golf ball stand.  Shot the tees out from under the golf balls at 100 yards.  Holdover not needed.    Just for fun I took a dime, placed in the log and hit it.  This gun is deadly accurate.  May have to get a barrel in 22LR just so I don't go broke shooting the 17.

Going up again Saturday or Sunday(depending on Monsoon conditions) to shoot the BC some more.  Also have to sight in the Tupperware Special with the Nikon 4x40.  I have a Yugo 24/47 that has never been shot.  I'll also take up Grandads 300 Savage, the Tula ex-sniper and my Hungarian M44.  Oh yeah the 17HMR.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
Sighted in the BC again
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 05:31:28 AM »
Zeak,
Your posting was fun to read, but tended to make me feel embarrassed... :oops:

I used to live on Vancouver Island, and farther north on the Queen Charlotte Islands, and I'd often shoot or hunt in the kind of weather  you described... because as you know, if you don't go out in the rain and/or fog on the wet coast, chances are you don't go out much at all! :wink:

Now I live in NM and basically wimp out whenever (and it is rare) there is not a clear blue sky and unlimited visibility...  

Thanks for the story, and continue to have fun whatever the weather! :toast:

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline AZ223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Sighted in the BC again
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 02:56:03 PM »
Zeke -- That .17HMR Sportster is a blast; it's small, easy to carry around, and shoots like a laser. I do wish they'd come down on the price of ammo; I can buy or reload for my .223 Ultra almost as cheap as the HMR ammo. But the fun factor keeps me at it! Shooting lemons (They're all over around here) in the desert with it is one of my favorite passtimes; they literally vaporize when those little 17gr bullets hit them.

Tallyho -- I know the feeling regarding waiting for a clear day. I used to go out in all kinds of stuff in CO, but since moving to Phoenix six years ago, I've turned into a real wuss; amazing how fast that happens in this climate! Heck, in AZ even the ducks don't fly if the sun isn't shining, so it isn't just us!  :-D
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Sighted in the BC again
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:46:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing Zeke. I was getting curious about you new Vanguard.
And a nice list of rifles for the next visit too.
I'm with ya'll on the 17ammo prices, it will be a great day if/when they come close to 22LR prices. It's an excellent round, and a lot of fun too. Surprisingly explosive, is the way I like to put it and I love mine.