Author Topic: How have you done so far this year?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How have you done so far this year?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
Here is my update. I took this buck this morning after four days of dawn to dusk hunting. The hunting is definitely more challenging in west Texas vs. east Texas and the shots are much longer.

It is an 8 point (would have been 9 if it not for one of the inside tines being broken off). I saw another guys buck that had tips broken off and one lady I was hunting with had about half of one side broken off on hers and battle scars.

NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Maryland Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2005, 09:39:02 AM »
7 so far.
2 does, 1 BB, 1 5 pt. with bow,
1 doe with muzzleloader
1 4 pt. with shotgun,
1 doe with rifle

A little under 2 months left in the season, hopefully a few more for the freezer.

MH

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
So far
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2005, 10:39:33 AM »
I took a doe that field dressed 90 LBS and a 3x4 buck that field dressed 110 LBS.  If I knew how to post a picture I would post my picture of my buck, though it isn't a monster or anything.  I took the doe on the evening of opening day adn the buck on the evening of the second day of the hunt.  I was prepared for a 9 day hunt and in fact hung around 8 days because my son was hunting also, but he was unfortunately skunked.

Offline terryfcampbell

• LOOK OUT BOYS, THEY'RE SHOOTING BACK!!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 03:11:33 AM »
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/terryfcampbell/13.jpg
Didn't get to hunt much this year until Thanksgiving weekend. Took an 8 point in Washington Co. Ky. on the morning of Nov. 25th.
LEARN  FROM  THE  MISTAKES  OF  OTHERS.   YOU  CAN'T  LIVE  LONG  ENOUGH  TO  MAKE  THEM  ALL  YOURSELF

Offline Outdoorsman Kyle

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
5 Maryland Deer- 2 does with Muzzleloader, 4pt. with bow, 8 pt. with muzzleloader, 9pt. with shotgun.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 01:55:14 PM »
2 does and one buck 148 lbs, antlers gone with black powder, 1 doe 7-08 Encore pistol. 2 does 7-08 Stevens and 270 WSM Super Shadow.

Going for a doe in the am with Handi 7-08 and Encore 7-08......will make 7 this year if I see a shooter......... 8)

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2005, 12:22:16 PM »
I got the buck I had been hunting for the last two seasons. You could identify him by some fight scars down the left side of his body. 10 points, 179 lbs. Very rare deer for my section of the mountains, where you can go a couple of seasons without seeing a shootable deer.

My closest neighbors had all been out after him as well. Just was in the right place at the right time, I guess. 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. I like to shoot heavy and the deer just drop over with this combo. Even a marginal shot puts them down hard. I hunt the big woods and need more in the way of a bigger bullet due to deflection liklihood.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »
Way to go Daks!

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »
Thanks. The entire two-year hunt for this guy was a major thrill and a big challenge. I took him on my own property, without any help, just me and the deer in a two season contest. I'm having the head mounted to remind me of the whole experience. I don't know how guys feel when they go on these guided hunts to bag some gigantic animal - probably the same as I did when I put the deer down. Elated, proud, a bit sad because it was the end of the hunt, respectful of the beauty of the animal.

I love hunting.