Author Topic: questions on new winchester?  (Read 496 times)

Offline upnorthbacon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
questions on new winchester?
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
I'm buying a new Winchester and have a couple questions.  It's the super shadow (I think that's the name) it has the ugly synthetic stock with glued on grey rubber grippy things on the pistol grip and foreend.  It has the large extractor with controlled feed.  I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal at $480 brand new in 270 WSM?  List shows $800 and the dealer said thier Winchester rep said to set the price at $480 for the first few they have to get them into people's hands.  It's funny because they have the standard shadow next to it that has the same stock without the rubber things and the action without the controlled feed and the barrel is not blued but more of a matte finish...and it is $495.  Hopefully I'm getting a good deal.
     My next question is about dual dovetail bases.  I ordered dual dovetail bases because I was told they are stronger than standard bases?  I ordered leupold bases (They are two piece) and Leupold rings to mount a Burris 3-9x40 fullfield II.  Any thoughts on the dual dovetails?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"  -George Orwell

Offline bgoldhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:22:25 PM »
The first gun you are talking abut is an Ultimate Shadow, and that is a very good deal, although I hear they are discontinuing that model. I think the space age stock stopped alot of people from buying. The second gun is a Super Shadow, which has a bit less build quality and CRPF instead of CRF.

Offline upnorthbacon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:06:22 PM »
Yeah the stock is terrible looking, eventually I'll probably buy another stock for it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"  -George Orwell

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:55:17 PM »
I have a Super Shadow 270 WSM, most accurate bolt action rifle I have ever owned..........$400 at Wally World, stock may be ugly, but it is an excellent handling  rifle, action works fine.