Author Topic: Any Derringer Carriers?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Any Derringer Carriers?
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »
I've long thought about getting a derringer for concealed carry, I know it's not much on firepower, but it sure beats an empty hand.  Many of my cops friends used to carry the little Davis Derringers with Glasers in them, and they liked them because they could hide them anywhere, pocket, boot or even hat carry.  Anybody know who makes derringers these days?  Prices?

Or would I just be better off with a little Kel-tec 380?

Opinions?

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
http://www.amderringer.com/
I have one and  I like it but it's not what I'd consider to be a good ccw weapon,  maybe as a back-up but even then I think I'd prefer the keltec.
Bond also makes a good derringer, but they're just way too big and heavy for my tastes
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »
Yesterday I held in my paws a 45/410 SxS derringer. Forgot what brand.
Have been thinking about the o/u style in that cal, but cant buy them in Commifornia in 45/410 cal. This one has been around for a while and not even cleaned last time it was shot. (quite sometime ago) It belongs to a shirt tail relate by marriage, he had that and bbls and grips for a dan wesson, plus some other things which he dint have with him but said he would bring them up for me to look over and give him an idea what things were worth. I asked about the wesson and he said somebody had stolen the frame years ago.
I think ifin I hold a $50.00 bill out the derringer will be mine. It would make a nice backup piece or handy down around the river for things that crawl, or walk on 2 legs(and are slimmey enough to crawl). suppopse to get with him in the next week or so, and see what I can come up with. He had a nice old Ithaca SxS but dint want to part with it, but it sure got my attention.

Gun Runner

Offline jhm

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 01:51:13 PM »
Papajohn :   Any gun is better than NO gun with that said I would try the kel-tec as to comfort b-4 I bought a darrenger I do have a Davis in 32 acp but I vary seldom carry it, it would be a last resort if I did, however when we had to list all the handguns we were going to be carring I did qualify with the little davis to carry CCW along with the others. :D   JIM

Offline Savage

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 02:04:04 PM »
I too qualified with a derringer type pistol years ago. It is a High Standard DA 22Mag. It was the only pistol I had at the time that was halfway concealable for backup. I still have the gun, but never carry it.There are too many better choices, among them the Kel tecs.  
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Peddler Parsons

ccw
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 02:47:51 AM »
:D
     I have a Davis 38 with 357 's , also a 45 / 410 that I use a lot when out in the woods for the not so friendly snakes in the grass, but my main is a 40   :twisted:
Peddler Parsons
SASS # 31281  R.O. II
SBSS # 259
Shooter of the Holy Black

Offline S.S.

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 01:36:11 PM »
A pawn shop worker I know still has bullet fragments from a .22 Mag
bullet lodged in the thigh bone of his right leg because of a derringer.
Probably his fault in doing something wrong or stupid, but I still can't bring
myself to drop one in my pocket. I likes all my parts where there at
if you catch my meaning!!!
It was a old Davis over & under.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jhm

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 02:24:41 PM »
Sumner :  Why do I think he might have put it into his pocket cocked and it went off, as with all handguns the person carring it has to be responsible for his own actions and not blame the GUN. :D    JIM

Offline Savage

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 12:05:22 AM »
My pocket gun for snakes is an old Charter Arms Undercover in SS. I handload the CCI shot capsules with #9 shot. The first two up are the shot loads, backed up with some heavy weight SWC for more dangerous things. Not that much bigger and heavier than a large bore derringer, and I have five rounds ready for speedy delivery.
Savage

Offline S.S.

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 10:20:12 AM »
To hear his story, he leaned over to pick up a crate
that had just been delivered. When he resumed an upright
position the gun fired.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Old Griz

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 11:06:17 PM »
:cb2: Liked the looks of the Bond, and I have heard that it is the best, but when I played with a couple at the local store, I couldn't believe how hard it was to cock them. You better have some strong mama thumbs!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline dave hall

• Contributor
  • The Great .458
Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 12:54:42 AM »
I HAVE A DAVIS DERRINGER IN A 22 MAG. NICKEL. I CARRY THAT THING EVERYWHERE THE LAW SAYS I CAN CARRY IT.I LIKE TO CARRY IT ON WALKS .YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT ANYTHING WITH IT .THE CRACK OFF THE TWO INCH BARREL WOULD SCARE OFF ANYTHING IN THE WOODS. IT'S A GUN I WILL NEVER GET RID OF.
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline Buster

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 04:04:00 AM »
Alot of cops around here keep one tucked away.  Funny thing but derringer's always seem to get stolen alot.  People just swipe 'em.
I believe a high quality derringer in stainless would sell very well.

Offline sixgunluv

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 10:13:05 PM »
I have a Kel-Tec P 11 but my Davis .38spl with +p hollow points  goes everywhere i go.  The holster is from MJ Keenan and has a nice metal clip on the other side.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 03:48:36 AM »
I used to carry (2) 45/410 FMJ side-by-side derringers until they were stolen.   Just recently I picked up a .38 Davis/Cobra like the one above.  Its my pocket pistol for days I dont feel like carrying my 1911.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Savage

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 01:35:33 PM »
Must be some attraction of derringers that I don't understand! Why would anyone carry a heavy, marginally safe, slow into action, limited capacity, inaccurate  weapon, when a five shot revolver is available for a little more money, weighs about the same, has 150% greater firepower, and is about the same size? I have toyed with derringers and find the large bores a hoot to shoot. Beyond that, I have no use for one, too many better choices!
Savage

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »
Quote from: Savage
Must be some attraction of derringers that I don't understand! Why would anyone carry a heavy, marginally safe, slow into action, limited capacity, inaccurate  weapon, when a five shot revolver is available for a little more money, weighs about the same, has 150% greater firepower, and is about the same size? I have toyed with derringers and find the large bores a hoot to shoot. Beyond that, I have no use for one, too many better choices!
Savage

Each to their own...

I wonder why people have a facination with "tech guns": Glock, Sig, HK, etc, etc..

If you're in need of a slim firearm for concealment, a derringer often, if not always, is slimmer then any semi out and revolver.  The wheel on a revolver makes it a fat gun.  In semi autos, to get a slim dimension you must give up bullet diameter.   You can geta 45-70 derringer that is nice and slim compared to a 5 shot .38spl or a .380acp auto.   ...granted, I wouldn't want to shoot a 45-70 derringer.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Savage

Any Derringer Carriers?
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
The grips on the large bore derringers I have seen are bulkier than the cylinder on a "J" frame. For pocket carry I use a P-3AT, about 3/4" thick and weighs about 8ozs. With 7 rds of .380 that I can put on target at reasonable ranges. It too is a better choice for me.
Happy New Year!
Savage