Author Topic: Problem with TDC  (Read 548 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Problem with TDC
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:47:51 AM »
Well i discovered a problem with my TDC.  When i break the action open i can wiggle the barrel probably 1/8" - 1/4" from side to side. I've shot maybe a box of shells through it. When you close the action it locks up tight with now play. I just got off the phone with NEF and they said it was the forearm. Now i thought the same thing but i took all of the other forearms i have and put them on my TDC and all of them do the same thing. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Same Problem!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
My 20ga Tracker I barrel does the same thing.  It is mounted on the SB2 receiver that it was fitted to, by the factory.  How much play do you have between the forend spacer and the receiver?  I didn't send the original stocks in when I had this barrel fitted, so I had to take the spacer off and do a little sanding so the action would open smoothly.  It was too tight.  I suppose there is probably a dollar bill thickness, maybe a little more, gap there now.  I thought that is why mine does that and since it locks up tight, I decided not to worry about it.  Was I wrong?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Problem with TDC
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 08:45:13 AM »
It may not be a problem but it looks horrible. You figure a 1/4" of play from side to side? Something is not right.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Problem with TDC
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:25:50 AM »
Don't remember which forum I read it on...Rifle or Shotgun.  I was pointed out that it is not even necessary to have the forend attached to fire a Pardner or Handi.  That being the case,  as long as the lock-up is good then I guess if it bothers you to have it loose when its in the open position you could shim the forend spacer or get a new forend to tighten it up a bit.  MSP has some experience with this, maybe Andy will chime in with some thoughts.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

DELETED

Problem with TDC
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 03:45:11 AM »
DELETED

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Problem with TDC
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 03:51:39 AM »
OK guys, put me on the hotseat! Well I returned from a little just after midnight. We have been away a couple of days letting floors dry. If the lockup is tight there should be no problem. And yes you can safely shoot any of these NEF/H&R guns with no forearm attached.  I personally do not think there should be any gap between the forearm spacer and the action, it should be a slight "slip fit" with a bit of friction there. The barrel and forearm should not just slam down and wiggle around when you open the action although it should just about open by itself when the lever is pushed. The best fit has no or little side to side "wiggle" when open. That looseness has to do with the thickness and fit of the barrel lug and barrel into the mating action area and the pivot pin. Fred M has done quite a bit of work with fully bedding the barrel lug into the action with Devcon for obtaining super accuracy from his guns (I think his 257 Roberts is superb and hope he leaves it to me in his will!!!). Perhaps a note or question to him would help. How about it Fred???....<><.... :grin:

BY the way while I am online, did you get the pistol grip/now straight buttstock back in the mail Tallyho? I hope they are what you wanted. If the color is OK I would suggest just 3-4  of coats of wax to finish them....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Problem with TDC
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 08:22:38 AM »
What did you use to shim the lug? I remeber someone saying but i can't remember what they used.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Problem with TDC
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
If you action closes tight do not shim the barrel lug, that is not a remedy for action looseness when open. If it has to be done I recommend old feeler gauge material in the correct thickness. Others here have successfully used brass shim stock or even pieces of aluminum soda cans....<><<.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley