Author Topic: Binocs question.  (Read 456 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Binocs question.
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:41:47 PM »
I took my new Nikon team realtree 10x25  Binocs out hunting the other day and found something I thing is not right.
The temp was from 25 in the morning and up to 40's in the late morning.
I picked them up to look trough them and the right side was blurry and the left was clear I thought it was just some fog on the lenses so I whiped them down and found the fog was on the inside. I thought it was because it was so cold I slid them in my coat and the cleared up for a little while. took them out to look at something moving and the right side foged up again on the inside and the temp was in the mid 40's. Not I have them inside everything is nice and clear.
Is this normal of do I have a bad set of  Binocs?

I will be calling Nikon and asking about this tomorrow (11-28-05 when i get back in from hunting) For the price I paid for them they should not be doing this. Right?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Binocs question.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »
Right. They are defective. But the $64 question is: Did they say they were sealed and moisture or water proof? Many aren't these days and are useless for hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Binocs question.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:02:50 AM »
The Nikon Team Realtree Compact 10x25 binoculars are only water resistant, not waterproof or fogproof.  You got what you bought.  For $80 there are better binoculars that are similar.  Next time you buy binoculars make sure they are waterproof, sealed and nitrogen purged to be fogproof.  Otherwise, you can expect them to fog on the inside.

Some waterproof and fogproof 10x25mm binoculars:
Nikon 10x25 ProStaff Waterproof ATB
Audubon Vector 10x25mm
Bushnell Legend 10x26mm
Vortex Typhoon 10x26mm
Minolta Activa D WP XL 10x25mm
Olympus 10x25 Magellan WP I
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Dana C

• Trade Count: (0)
Binocs question.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 06:06:17 PM »
Unless they are rated as "fog proof"  you will run into problems when moving from a warm environment to a cold one.  For instance, if you glasses are kept under a coat or sweatshirt and brought out, they can and will fog.
Gas purged binocs, while more expensive eliminate this problem.  
In optics, you definitely get what you pay for.  Go into a well stocked store and look at Svwarofski, Zeiss, Leica, Steiner binocs.  Then look at
Bushnell, Simmons, Baush & Lomb, Tasco etc.  You won't believe the difference.
I saved up and bought a pair of Steiner peregrins, 10X40.  I think I paid around $700 or a little less on eBay.  The brightness, clarity, definition and ease of use is incredible.
You get what you pay for.
Dana
Dana
45-70, (a couple)
45-90 C Sharps, 2 Puma's 44 Mag. & .357
92' Orginal Winchester & 1894 Marlin 25.20
Model 24 Win. 20G, Eclipse 12G BP,
45-120 Meacham High Wall & 50-100 1872 Rem. Rolling Block
Rem. Custom Shop .375 H&H & .458 Lott Ruger #1