Author Topic: removing e-mail address, How?  (Read 994 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
removing e-mail address, How?
« on: November 08, 2005, 04:31:43 AM »
Hi Matt or GB, I have been unsuccessful in removing my e-mail address from being posted at the bottom of my posts, could you please help me in that endeavor, Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:33:19 AM »
I guess I dunno what you're talking about. I checked your profile it's set to not show your e-mail address to other members. So there is no way they can obtain your e-mail address. Now if you're talking about that ICON in the line of icons at the bottom of each post they are there on all posts by every one.

That gives other members the option of sending you an e-mail thru the GBO system. But in sending it to you they cannot find out what your e-mail address is unless you wish to provide it by replying to them. There is no way to take the icon away for a single person. It would have to be removed from everyone's posts to take it off of one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:49:12 AM »
OK and Thanks for the quick response GB, as usual you are right on top of things. I recieved an e-mail from a disgruntled and  unhappy member and mistakenly thought he had somehow obtained my e-mail address. I guess I misunderstood the "e-mail" icon, however when I went back and checked mnay messages from posters, only some show the "e-mail" icon, most do not seem to show it, perhaps it is just my computer, but then again I am not the most cmputer savvy person around.  I quess I would just prefer to recieve messages from unhappy posters through a PM and not through my e-mail....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 07:26:14 AM »
I really can't figure how the e-mail icon would be missing on anyone's posts. All of them should have Profile, Friend, PM and E-mail at the bottom. Those are the default settings and I do not know any way to alter them showing on any member's posts other than changing it on all.

You are not obligated to respond to a PM or e-mail from anyone (well maybe other than me or Matt. Ignoring us might not be a good way to stay a member.  :eek:  ) And if you do reply you could do it via PM so they have no way of knowing your e-mail address. I'm not certain but I think if you reply to an e-mail thru the GBO system it shows your e-mail address to them. I know when they send one it shows you theirs, so I'm pretty sure a reply would give them yours.

Belive me I hate the e-mails. I've been tempted to shut it ALL down. But then I don't really know how and Matt refuses to do it. Says we cannot do that. But then he's not the one getting all the bounced e-mails, I am.  :roll:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 10:41:35 AM »
Thanks Bill, I understand. I did not respond to his e-mail, he was upset and disagreed with an opinion I had expressed regarding some guns that a poster had asked opinins about ( :? ). Well, I gave my opinion backed up with a littler anecdotal story that had happened to me.  Somehow it seem to really tick off another poster who read my opinion and comment. Oh well, as has been said many times it's best to ignore upset people, leave them alone and they will calm down, feed into thier anger and they get more upset, and respond with more posts. All is well now....<><.... :grin:

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 10:34:59 PM »
Hey guys,

I decided to read this what with everything else going on.

When I look at the bottom of the post I see Profile, Friend, Ignore, and PM in that order. Could it just be me?

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:58:37 AM »
Hi Greg, yep, thats on yours, on mine they are profile, PM, and e-mail. On Bill's they are profile, friend, PM, and www. Three guys, three different groups of Icons, Oh well, he has not sent me any more e-mails so all is fine now....<><.... :grin: