Author Topic: I don't get it  (Read 725 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
I don't get it
« on: December 01, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »
Why do people pay astronomically high prices for used barrels on ebay when they can get the same barrel CHEAPER and FITTED to their receiver from NEF??  A 22" 30-06 blued barrel sold for $132 today....AM I MISSING SOMETHING....or are they?
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I don't get it
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 07:13:18 AM »
Matt,
I'm sure you've heard the old saying " some people have more dollars than sense", just another case of that I suppose. You have them everywhere, may even be a few here.  :eek: That last remark was a joke, sir.    :)   :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
I don't get it
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 07:20:42 AM »
Not having to send a frame in for fitting is probably the number one reason, ignorance accounts for the a lot, I suppose. :(
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
I don't get it
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:22:53 AM »
People that are not glued in to H&R or this forum would not know how much a fitted barrels cost. There are very few bargains in auctions where a lively auctioneer drives up the price and when there are a few buyers that want the item really bad the price goes up. E-bay is not that much different.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
I don't get it
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:37:41 AM »
Fred,that's true,but the price STARTED at 95.00 (or more,can't remember for sure).....and 10 dollars shipping   !!!

I guess people just assume that if it's used,it must be cheap,so they go ahead and buy it    :shock:

Matt B.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
I don't get it
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 09:25:53 PM »
They might see the price of Encore barrels and heed the affordability of a H&R/NEF barrel and believe they are getting a great deal. Which when you think about it, to you average Joe, $140 for a barrel that he will only shoot a couple times a year and mainly use for deer hunting, the life of that barrel is quite long. And in the end worth it to our ignorant friend.
Some times the value of an item is of most importance to the individual himself, and by what he see's it's worth.
Case in point, people spending $1000++ for a nice WWII rifle.
Or $500+ for a Mosin Nagant labeled-"Sniper".

Offline MDig

• Trade Count: (0)
I don't get it
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 04:09:17 AM »
Common Sense is least Common of all the Senses.
I see this all the time on the auction sites. Sometimes the bargains are well worth it. Other times there is no bargain at all. This is particularily true is you are looking at Military Surplus Rifles.
Common Sense is least common of the Senses

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
I don't get it
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 04:50:04 AM »
I could see how someone may have an older H&R rifle that H&R will not fit barrels, might want another barrel & that would be their only source.

Hope someone with a shotgun frame isn't thinking the same thought. :cry:  Might not be too pretty :(

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
I don't get it
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 03:20:06 PM »
THIS is what i'm taliking about....

Winning bid: US $147.79   ......Like new .223 Remington 20" barrel from a Youth Ultra Light. Drilled and tapped for scope, and includes iron sights. Fired about 10 rounds only.
Note* this barrel may need fitting on your receiver. Shipping and handling flat rate 15.00 to lower 48

heck,if they didn't mind firing their OWN 10 rounds through it they coulda saved about $55  :-D  :-D  :-D

I STILL DON'T GET IT!!!!!

heck,I think I'll buy about 50 barrels from NEF and make about 3 grand,then do it again,sounds like a good business   :D

Matt B.