Author Topic: Model 70 Coyote  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« on: December 22, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »
I've been thinking about picking up a Coyote in 270WSM.  

I know it's a good looking rifle, but what is the general consensus on how they shoot?  I've shot one that shot pretty decent, but I'd like some more feedback from people who own them.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline KN

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
Since no one else jumped in I will. I got one of the first ones in 22-250 and could not put a round through a hula hoop at 100yds. Literally! I found .006" of oversized bore diameter starting at the chamber end and tapering down to correct size at about half way down the barrel. So the bullet was free for about the first 1/3 of the barrel before it ever touched the lands. I'm sure it then striped the jacket off and threw the bullet where ever it pleased after that. I figured it was just a fluke and sent it back to Winchester. It took six months and numerous phone calls before I finally told them to either fix my rifle and send it back or send me a check. I didn't care which. The rifle came back a week after that. It was better but never did shoot any better than 2" 100yd groups with any load I tried. And I tried a bunch. I gave up on it as I wanted it for a prairie dog gun and the accuracy just wasn't there. Got rid of it and bought a 700VS and never looked back. Needless to say my view of Winchester is not very good. I'm sure there are a lot of satisfied folks out there but I'm not one of them. If their customer service stinks that bad I'm not about to do business with them again.Sorry for the rant but you asked for opinions so heres mine.   KN

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 11:12:27 AM »
KN Wrote:

I found .006" of oversized bore diameter starting at the chamber end and tapering down to correct size at about half way down the barrel.

How do you measure inside the barrel like that?  I'm not sure of what would be used, other than slipping a bullet (by itself) into the chamber, and watching how far it goes down.  As I said, I don't know anything as to how to measure accurately inside the bore; so chances are that bullet idea might be pretty.....well......stupid, I guess. :?  What would be used to run down the bore for taking measurements?   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline KN

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:25:13 PM »
I made an oversized brass plug to fit a cleaning rod and then began turning it down a couple of thousandths at a time until it would start into the bore. Thats where it measured .006" over what it should have. Tuned it down .001" at a time until it would go through the bore all the way. It got to about half way down the bore before it evened out and remained a constant diameter the rest of the way.   KN

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 04:07:09 AM »
It is a beautiful gun, but what will you be using it for?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 07:29:35 PM »
Sorry for the rant but you asked for opinions so heres mine. KN

No need to apologize.  Honest opinions from people who own or have owned this rifle are what I want.  

It is a beautiful gun, but what will you be using it for?

Mulies and whitetails mostly.  It is a beautiful rifle, but not if it shoots patterns instead of groups.

I set one up for a guy chambered in .308WIN.  Like I said, it shot decent with Federal factory loads.  I only shot the one load in it(150 grainers), it might be a hummer with another load, or even better....hand loads.  But I thought I would get some other opinions before I got serious about finding one for myself.

Offline JPSaxMan

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 05:49:17 AM »
I saw a Model 70 Coyote yesterday at Gander Mtn. It looks alot nicer in person. It had a laminated (or real wood...didn't pay that much attention) stock with a fluted stainless barrel. Beautiful doesn't even give it justice. I'd say go for it! :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 07:45:36 PM »
I just recenty purchased a Coyote and got it home last week.  Mine is chambered in 223 WSSM, as yet I haven't been able to take it out for the first time.  Still savin' up for the sights... :eek:  :lol:  I wanted to get the rifle pretty bad, and once I had enough I bought it; but not enough to get a good scope to go with it.  Go ahead and laugh, I think its funny too.  Pretty soon, though.  I will post here and let you know how it shoots when I get a chance.  As for feel, it is great; the reverse-taper fore-end is a good feature I believe.  It would make the gun more steady on sandbags or bipod.  The wood is laminated, and looks really nice BTW.  :D   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline GotstaHunt

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 09:42:47 AM »
Nice gun.
God Bless the Almighty Backstrap

Offline Lawdog

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 12:52:47 PM »
Wlscott,

I have one of the first M70 Coyotes to be chambered in the .223 WSSM cartridge and my sister in-law has one in .300 WSM.  These rifles give excellent accuracy as does all the M70 Coyotes I have come across.  The .270 WSM is a excellent cartridge and in my Savage M10 gives me groups that started out at 0.75” and only got better with load work.  I would say that getting a M70 Coyote in the .270 WSM would be a great choice for everything from Pronghorns to Moose.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 04:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Keep 'em coming.

I know you don't know what you're getting until you get it, but it never hurts to find out all you can before putting down hard earned $$.

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Win. Coyote
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 04:33:15 AM »
I can't comment directly on the Coyote model, but I would like to add to what a couple of the posts here say about accuracy, or lack there of.

Two years back I purchased a Mod. 70 Supergrade in .25-06.  One of the prettiest guns I've ever owned.  But - It shoots 3-4" groups at 100 yds.

I am an amateur gunsmith, and a very experienced rifleman, so I know it's not me.  It seems that the barrel quality from Winchester these days is a real crap shoot.  Some great, some average, and some piss poor!

My barrel is also oversized.  To reach book velocities for a given load, I am way over the book listings with no signs of excess pressure.  For lack of funds to do anything about it, I've tabled the project for now, but this rifle is just too gorgeous to give up on.  I will eventually have it rebarreled.

I do love Mod. 70's, but am certainly disgusted with Winchester quality in recent years!

You pay your money, and you take your chances!!! :(

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Winchester Experience
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 03:48:30 PM »
I, too, have been considering a M70 Coyote, but in 308Win.  A local store has a "left over" push-feed model at a discount.  A couple months back I found an Older Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint in 243Win.  This rifle has a very tight chamber and is printing 1/2" - 3/4" at a 100yards with various bullet weights.  I'm hoping this is indicative of what a Coyote will produce.  

As another plug for WInchester, my first centerfire rifle was a M70 Stainless Classic in 30-06.  At 100yards, it was consistently 3/4" or less.

Offline JPSaxMan

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 04:03:24 PM »
While you all are bragging about the accuracy of Winchester, Remington is getting beat up with their poor marketing strategies (sad I know  :cry: ). Check out Remington forum if you don't understand what I mean.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Swift516

Win Coyote
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »
I've got one in 243 Win.   It's a real shooter.  I have been able to shoot consistent cloverleaves with it.  It really likes the 70 grain Nosler BT's.  

Go for it....

Jason

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Winchester Coyote 308
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 04:20:27 PM »
I bought the very lightly used Coyote 308 I mentioned in my previous post.  I've had it out to the range twice for short shooting trials.  Sighted it in the first time and could only get about 1-1/2" groups @ 100yds.  Flip flopped scopes, adjusted the trigger lighter for the second trip and pulled about a 1" group.  Both times I was using factory ammo.  I now have dies and once fired brass that I will reload to "really" test accuracy.  Right now, I'm expecting it to get into the 3/4" range.  I'm impressed with the rifle so far.

Regarding Remington....they are nice rifles.  I have shot friends' Remmies, but never owned any of their centerfires.  I started out with Winchesters and have had too good of luck to currently change.  My dealer had a used Remmington 700 in a heavy barreled 308 at the same time as the Coyote, but he wanted $150 more for it.  Had it been closer in price, I'd probably have the Remmington instead.

I'm by no means an "expert" rifleman.  I did qualify "Expert" with the M16 in the service, but my bolt action experience is limited.  I have heard the positives and negatives of most brands.  Winchester has worked for me as Remington, Savage, Ruger, Weatherby (Etc) have worked for others.

Offline bgoldhunter

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 10:40:25 AM »
I have a Coyote in 300WSM, and got it out to the range on Friday. Using factory loads and the heavy trigger pull had very respectable 1" groups on average. I can't wait to see what it will do when I find the right loads for it and adjust the trigger to a respectable pull. I think I found a keeper!

Offline jhm

Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 12:12:36 PM »
I have the win. cyote in 270 WSM, I got it in the pawn shop, it is a decent rifle for the price, I got it for a 4 wheeler rifle to use on the farm during deer season, wont be my primary rifle this year as I have only fired it a few rounds to sight in and to get aquainted with it and the cal. I am getting a little over 1in at 100yds at present may be better with some other loads only used the 130 so far, for the money I would rather have it than a savage but thats a personal oppinion not slaming the savages but I like the others better win/rem/howa etc. :D    JIM

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Coyote 308 Update
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 08:46:53 PM »
One factor I kept coming back to after my first range trip with the Coyote 308 was the "Lawyer-proof" trigger....HEAVY!  Went back to my gunsmith and he walked me through the process of adjusting the Winchester trigger.

I then took it back to the range with 165gr SP BT bullets over a "max" charge of BLC(2).  Kick was minimal and accuracy was in the 3/4" range.  I was pleased.  The rifle went to deer camp with me this year as a back-up to a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.  It wasn't needed in the course of the hunt.

I have been pleased with my Winchester rifles, but have never tried to accuracy test them with factory ammo.  I have always relied on handloads.  I have nothing against any other brand and will probably add others as I justify a hunting need.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Model 70 Coyote
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »
I used to be a Remington guy, didn't like Winchesters. Then I bought a Super Shadow 270 WSM, mainy for the round, but loved the way the rifle handled, shot 1/2"--3/4" groups right from the start with factory ammo. Really a great rifle, especially for $400................ 8)