Author Topic: Quick Help Me decide which one, Ultra Slug Hunter  (Read 684 times)

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Quick Help Me decide which one, Ultra Slug Hunter
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:06:37 AM »
I am getting a Christmas Bonus check in a few hours and need to spend some of it before I give the rest to my wife, ha ha.
 I have been wanting an Ultra Slug Hunter for a while and cant decide which to get the 12 or the 20.

PLEASE tell me your opinions on what to buy..........

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Quick Help Me decide which one, Ultra Slug
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:52:09 AM »
I just had to make the same decision.  Based on searching through the past posts on this forum I decided on the 20.  It appears to be a very capable slugger with ballastics that are very close to the 12 gauge.  The one biggest advantage to it is its reduced recoil (which I'm always interested in since I have had a detached retina in my left eye which happened while I was shooting my 3.5" Remington Super Magnum slobber knocker).  Additionally once I decided on the 20 gauge I had to decide on the whether to get the deluxe model with the laminated stock (with some checkering) or go with the standard model.  I opted for the deluxe.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 04:24:44 AM »
There is a greater selection of 12GA sabots on the market.  If this matters to you then maybe that will help you make your decision.  I have the 12 and I love it.  I may opt for a 20 in the future though.  One can never have too many firearms in their safe.  I would opt for the laminte deluxe version as well...It just looks nicer but does nothing to improve the shootability.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:12:35 AM »
You first need to assess your hunting situation.

I'd say if your shots are normally no more than 100-125 yds, the 20 ga is probably fine using the 1,900 fps rounds.  Beyond that I would opt for the 12 gauge.

I have the 12 ga USH and couldn't be happier.  Every bit as accurate as everyone claims.  It's a bit on the heavy side but my only concern is getting it to my blind.  If I intended to do any walking at all, the 12 is not the way to go.

As for recoil, I guarantee you if you are shooting a 12 ga now, that the recoil out of the USH will be noticeably less using the same load that you're using now.  The weight of the USH absorbs it!

My main reason (and not necessarily a good reason) for not buying the 20 ga was that I or nobody I knew had ever used the 20.  I just couldn't convince myself at that time that that was the way to go.  In addition, to achieve the same amount of energy and effective range as a 1500 fps 12 ga sabot, you'd need to shoot one of 1,900 fps 20 ga rounds. End result is you're still probably going to have a dead deer one way or the other, but the 12's going to leave behind a bigger hole and maybe a better blood trail by virtue of the sabots size (438 gr vs 260 gr).  

There's alot of success stories using the 20 which can't be denied.  My son has the 20 ga USH youth model.  When he grows out of it I intend to keep him in a 20 by either buying the adult stock and forend or just a new gun itself.  We'll have the best of both worlds....one of each....a 12 and a 20!

It's a tough decision.  Been there and know what you're going through.
Let me just say there's no wrong answer.  Either way you're going to have a fine shooting slug gun.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »
I got a 12 gauge Ultra Deluxe used this past summer for $219 bucks and I really like it. However if I had it to do over again and was buying new I would get the 20 gauge. From what I have seen they tend to be a bit more accurate, With the newer slugs the ballistics are pretty simular, and at this point the offerings are pretty equal for both 12 and 20, before long I expect them to be the same in that respect.

Also the 20 is a bit lighter and offers more versatility in swapping barrels. The 12 gauge ultra only gives you the option of the heavy slug barrel and a 10 gauge smooth bore.

Your best bet would be to get a centerfire and then a 20 gauge heavy barrel to go with it. Then you could swap just about anything to that frame.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 01:34:49 AM »
Either will work fine. I have always shot 12 gauge slug guns, I just bought a 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter just to carry when I wanted a switch from my 12 gauge.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 04:30:12 AM »
Quote from: Paul Mohr
I From what I have seen they tend to be a bit more accurate,

i wouldn't say that. but then again i don't think i've heard of a bad shooting USH. but i do know my 12 is just about as great as i could ever ask for .
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 04:40:54 AM »
I REALLY appreciate the replies. I have just about decided on the 12. I have ALWAYS thought that was a really neet looking gun with that huge barrel. This gun will be for grins and some hunting, but mainly so people can say"what the He>> is that? :) Most of my hunting is from stands with a shot of around 100-125 yards. I have an Ultra Varmit in 243 that I may send in for a Ultra Slugger Barrel in 20 gauge.  
  I went home last night and my waife talked me out of a large portion of my bonus :cry:  but I managed to secret enough for the gun and possibly a scope. :wink:
  This will make the 10th H&R in my small collection with MORE planned.

Again, Thanks for the Help and Suggestions.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
From what I have been reading here and other sites the 20's seem to be a bit more accurate or more forgiving on what they shoot. Probably due to the 1 and 28 twist rate which is what most of the inlines muzzle loaders are. And they shoot simular loads, just cleaner and easier to load :wink: .

At 50 to 75 yards they are all pretty darn accurate, but extend it to 100 or more and they get a bit finnicky. Even switching from a 2 3/4" load from a 3" load in the same bullet and brand can effect accuracy. I'm talking 2 inch and under groups at 100 yards though.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »
If you are looking for the WOW factor you just can't go wrong with the Ultra Deluxe 12 with a nice scope. Here are some pics of mine.

Every time I show it to someone the response is "Holy Crap!, what is that thing?".

The 20's look pretty nice too though, just not as cannon like :wink: .

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf